Devonian Art

mikeymig

Original artwork by Eryks Arts on display with my Upper Devonian cephalopods of New York. The canvas is a slab of Devonian slate covered in Leiorhynchus brachiopods from Ontario County NY.

Thanks, Mikey

post-7129-0-51338900-1435807881_thumb.jpg

post-7129-0-09990000-1435807904_thumb.jpg

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Close ups of the crinoids and nautiloids.

post-7129-0-71110000-1435808008_thumb.jpg

post-7129-0-50229200-1435808033_thumb.jpg

led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Very Impressive. It highlights and expands the impregnated fossils. Thanks for sharing.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

What a great idea! And beautiful execution. I'm inspired.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

When you showed me a photo of this on the phone I thought it was okay. But when you brought it home I was very impressed. It looks so much better in person. Looks like its underwater!!

This is an imaginative and powerful visualization! I would LOVE to see something like this in natural history museum displays; it really adds relevance.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You have inspired me to ask an artist friend to do a wooly mammoth or rhino on a flag stone or piece if slate.

Hopefully he agrees.

Thank you everyone for the positive comments. Paula (Seneca13) is right, its much more impressive in person. If you would like one of your own or something similar I can get you in contact with the artist. Hes a a friend and collecting buddy of mine who lives here in Rochester NY. Just message me and I can send you the info.

Thanks, Mikey

led zeppelin

Mikey, if my artist friend isn't interested in doing a wooly rhino for me, I will PM for contact info.

If he is interested, I will post what every he creates for me.

I am visualizing a Green River bird track plate, with a painted scene of shorebirds flying over the lakeshore in the background...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I am visualizing a Green River bird track plate, with a painted scene of shorebirds flying over the lakeshore in the background...

Just let me know Auspex. We can arrange this my friend.

Mikey

post-7129-0-60904300-1435879279_thumb.jpg

led zeppelin

Anyone know where I might find a stone plate 10 by 15 or so from a location where either wooly rhinos or wooly mommoth are found. My artist friend is in. I'd like to get it done on a stone from where they are found.

I don't think that's possible claw. However, I do have a large piece of mammoth skull that would work. It has a flat surface that is around 10" x 10" as a canvas. Let me know and I will send you a pic.

Mikey

led zeppelin

Mikey,

Please PM a picture. I love the idea.

I do worry that using a skull for the "canvas" might quick make the total cost of the project go way higher then I was planning.

thanks,

Dom

• 5 months later...

Still thinking about having a mammoth and wooly rhino scene done. Who thinks I would be totally nuts to have it painted on the side of this Woolly Rhino Jaw?

post-16815-0-89484400-1450707774_thumb.jpg

Still thinking about having a mammoth and wooly rhino scene done. Who thinks I would be totally nuts to have it painted on the side of this Woolly Rhino Jaw?

A small painting as a backdrop to your fossil would tell the story better, in my opinion.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I am only considering it because I have 2 and this one I got cheap because it got damaged in shipping and I had to repair it.

I don't know what I'd do...

On one hand, it sounds like a pretty cool display idea, especially since it's a duplicate. On the other, there is the sense of "violating the sanctity". I would probably talk myself into it by using easily removable paint; "reversible" is an established watch-word in paleontology. :)

I don't know what I'd do...

On one hand, it sounds like a pretty cool display idea, especially since it's a duplicate. On the other, there is the sense of "violating the sanctity". I would probably talk myself into it by using easily removable paint; "reversible" is an established watch-word in paleontology. :)

Good idea.

I have been going back and forth on the idea since mid-summer.

Archived