Sharktooth Hill Vertebrate --Fish Or ?

ynot

Hey all,

Here are a couple of the fish (?) vertebrate fossils that I found at Sharktooth Hill. Is it possible to tell which fish they came from?

Scale in photos is in centimeters--

post-16416-0-51529100-1435864001_thumb.jpg

post-16416-0-11428300-1435864122_thumb.jpg

Thanks Folks,

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

IMO,they are not fish vertebrae.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

The top one surely is, and I think the bottom one is as well. The top one is a bony fish, the bottom may not be.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

I am very curious about the bottom one...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

IMO,they are not fish vertebrae.

What does IMO mean ? :zzzzscratchchin:

The top one surely is, and I think the bottom one is as well. The top one is a bony fish, the bottom may not be.

Thanks, :D what would the second one be if not a bony fish? :wacko:

I am very curious about the bottom one...

I am curious about it also, :zzzzscratchchin: (PS I was just joking about the bird bone and shattered dreams. :hearty-laugh::rofl::hearty-laugh: )

Tony

Both are from bony fish, beyond that I can't identify them. There is not much reference material available for identifying isolated fish bones. Most fish workers like to work with fully articulated specimens and they rarely will show detailed photographs of isolated bones. This makes the identification of isolated bones very difficult.

In My Opinion

Thank You, I do not know much about texting lingo and it can be frustrating trying to understand.

Both are from bony fish, beyond that I can't identify them. There is not much reference material available for identifying isolated fish bones. Most fish workers like to work with fully articulated specimens and they rarely will show detailed photographs of isolated bones. This makes the identification of isolated bones very difficult.

Thank You , I am hoping to get a shark vertebrate into My collection and thought that the second one might have been one, but was unsure about it. Maybe next time.

Like others have said it's a fish vertebra. Curious about the side bone on the lower one. Can you take a picture where the bone is attached to the side of the centrum

Like others have said it's a fish vertebra. Curious about the side bone on the lower one. Can you take a picture where the bone is attached to the side of the centrum

Thank You for the comments. Here are the photos that You asked for...

post-16416-0-71024300-1436049813_thumb.jpg post-16416-0-80219100-1436049870_thumb.jpg post-16416-0-49017200-1436049883_thumb.jpg post-16416-0-20685600-1436049890_thumb.jpg

The extra bone is a fragment that is concreted to the vertebrate, just a neat oddity.

Tony

Both are indeed fish, and I can do better than that: the top one is Paralichthys (halibut) and the second one is a scombrid (mackerel), and is probably also identifiable to the genus level.

• I found this Informative 1

Both are indeed fish, and I can do better than that: the top one is Paralichthys (halibut) and the second one is a scombrid (mackerel), and is probably also identifiable to the genus level.

Thank You for the identification. It is much appreciated!!

Tony