Id Of Fish Scale From Kemmerer

dcreech

My daughter found the fossil in the pictures below while we were preparing fish fossils from a recent trip to Kemmerer, WY. It looks very similar to the picture of a Phareodus scale in Figure II.32b of Palentology of the Green River Formation by Lance Grande.

Does anyone have an idea of what species this is from? The largest diameter is 1" (25 mm).

post-18885-0-10155600-1435936455_thumb.jpg

post-18885-0-11329100-1435936453_thumb.jpg

I checked the document mentioned and I think you are right.It looks to be a Phareodus scale.Very nice find! post-17588-0-80350400-1435938538_thumb.jpg

And here is the document : http://www.wsgs.wyo.gov/public-info/onlinepubs/docs/b-63.pdf

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Welcome to the forum! This is very interesting. I looked through my book (The Lost World of Fossil Lake) and couldn't find anything exactly like it. To me (because of it's size) it looks like something from a conifer or some kind of scute, but I am an amateur when it comes to the Green River Formation. I can't wait to hear what the experts will have to say! :popcorn:

• 1 month later...