chg057

Hello,

I am nearing the end of my stay in Tulsa this summer and I was wondering if anyone knew of any good outcrop locations to go collecting at? I found one shale outcrop near Keystone Dam but I haven't been fortunate in finding anything else in the area - there just seems to not be enough relief and vegetation grows too quickly.

I'm not looking for anything in particular, but teeth, trilobites, cephalopods, and brachiopods would be pretty neat. The river is running extremely high (still) and I don't see any places that I could walk the sand bars looking for artifacts and Pleistocene fossils. I would also like to stay within about a 10-20-mile radius of Tulsa, as my trips to the outcrops will only happen after work in the afternoon.

Thanks for your help!

Some of the best spots are found by accident. With that being said, I'd secure a geological survey map and go for a drive.

Best regards,

Paul

...I'm back.

I wrote this guide to the area a while back if that helps, http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/36993-fossil-hunting-guide-to-tulsa-ok-and-surrounding-areas/

I know a few areas in Tulsa that you can go, but most are primarily brachiopods, or the occasional plant impression. If you are willing to travel further I know of several other good localities, but I'm pretty sure most of them are underwater at the moment. If you are interested I can try and find GPS coordinates for some of my old spots in the area.