Hadrosaur Fossil Egg - Practice Identifying Fakes

Fossil Claw

Posting to practice my skill at identifying fakes.

Normally I can tell right away on these eggs. This one, I am not sure.

I lean towards real.

Thought?

post-16815-0-99615700-1436146586_thumb.jpg

post-16815-0-91645600-1436146590_thumb.jpg

post-16815-0-40611600-1436146594_thumb.jpg

Its can be difficult to make an assessment based on photos. I like to hold these type specimen to see detail that does not pop out of photos. Looks real but I see resto at a minimum and who knows. My philosophy on these types of eggs is if you can't easily make that call walk away from it.

From the photos - this piece has the appearance of a legit egg. As Troodon wisely asserts, in-hand (and magnification) is the only way to be more certain. If it were mine, I would do additional prep, removing the remaining matrix and mineral deposits from the shell on the display surface. I have successfully accomplished this via employing the curved edge of a "C"- shaped dental pick (not the point) and patient scraping. Avoid exposing that reddish matrix to water in any quantity. In my experience it is hydrophillic and will turn to viscous mud if saturated. I used damp paper towels to wipe away powdered matrix during prep.

That being said, in the second photo the white deposit is "brighter" than I have encountered. This may simply be an artifact of the photo's lighting. It is the only thing I see that is not like other eggs of this type, I have encountered.

The ten $ note, however, looks kind of iffy! Please send it to me for a complete scientific evaluation. If it passes my test* we will know it is legit.

* Subject note will be offered at a "Quicky-Mart" in payment for a 6-pack and some Slim Jim sausages. If accepted we can be confidant it was official US currency. No problem, I will be glad to do it.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

That's for your thoughts.

I'll never see it in hand as I don't plan to bid on it.

Just wanted to practice identifying fakes by photo.

• 3 weeks later...

I would say YES. Mainly because of the cracking and the rock matrix attached to it. It also seems to be covered in mineral deposits which seem to indicate a genuine specimen

• 1 month later...

I do not see the textures of the shell because the photos are too far apart, try to take pictures closer and also in macro, for me is original with some restoration, have passed the cement over the shell, leaving white marks into the cracks, perhaps thinking of the best glue the shells that could come off .... poor technique, the egg is in good shape.

->>>>> :)<

Real, probably, but heavily composited. I'd avoid it.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!