Sign in to follow this  
ArthurLK11

Granton Quarry

ArthurLK11

Hi all. I'm very new to fossils and collecting. Actually I have never been out before. I thought this would be a good place to start since it is only a few minutes from my house. I'd like to get any information on this sight that you could offer me. If anyone is going there and wouldn't mind a newbie tagging along, I'd be very interested. I'd also buy lunch. Thank you for any information you could provide.

Fossildude19

Summer is not the time to visit the site, as it is covered in poison ivy. :(

This is a site much easier to visit in the late fall or early spring, when the poison ivy leaves are not present, or have died off.

Also, the last time I visited the site, I was denied permission to hunt the Lowes side of the exposure.

You need to call the manager ahead of time, and ask him, so that he can ask their lawyers, (Never a good sign!) and the people they lease the property from. A process which can take a few days to a few weeks.

Basically, the black shale layers are the ones that contain the most fossils. They can be hard to make out, but if you google images of Diplurus newarki, you can get an idea of what they look like.

Regards,

PS - Welcome to the Forum. :)

Edited by Fossildude19

ZiggieCie

Arthur, welcome to the forum. :yay-smiley-1: