Change Of Pace Thursday *********'s And Crabs

micropterus101

Wife woke me up early with the rain coming down outside. I have too say after a tough week at work with one of our biggest events I was looking forward to sleeping in. Well she was bright eyed and heading for the door with or without me. I got up got dressed and before I knew it and before I actually woke up I was an hour down the rd with another houir to go. Didnt feel to much like snorkeling in My newly found creek locality with the rescent Raninoid crabs, something about 42 degree water, rain, and muddy flooding water didnt add up to the most bang for my buck. neither did hiking up muddy hills to some of my other crab spots. so we headed to (close your eyes and read no further RJB) my favorite Nautiloid locality. Its been quite awhile as I picked as far into the exposure as I could until I let mother nature take over for awhile. Dang shes good! Was able to pull out some nice boulders from a quite productive section of the exposure. My partner in demolition handled picking the smaller concretions out of the large chunks of siltone I sent down the bluff while after the big heavy stuff on my day of rest. Once done with the not rocks we headed to a locality that produces many Maeandricampus triangulum crab concretions in rocks that look like meteors. I am getting close to writting a paper on my theory about the nature of these particular concretions and the story they tell about the area 38 million years ago. These concretions are pot marked with pits made by piddocks and are found in a single layer 5 inches thick that spans several square miles. Nine out of ten concretions have crabs in them throughout 4 exposures several miles apart. Imagine walking a beach today and being able to pick up a backpack load of crab concretions without taking a step, now imagine several square miles like that! Holy snikees batman thats crab concretion collectors heaven. I was basically told in so many words by somebody in the know I was smoking crack. I new what I found and just had to get the evidence to back it up and I did.

numerous Maeandricampus triangulum Concretions, thin layer, pot marked with piddock holes, concretions with barnacles on the outer surface containing crabs, exposure above thin layer with concretions containing Maeandricampus triangulum crabs not pot marked with piddock holes or having barnacles, concretion above same composition as concretions below. Anyways cool stuff!

ended up with eight more Maeandricampus triangulum crabs. One concretion contains two crabs. The wife found one nice Meggokos macrospinus to add to the many naut concs she found.

Heres some pics of the naut rocks

nautrocks.jpg

nautrock.jpg

Pic of meteor looking concretion with crab in it.

crab-7.jpg

That's a whole lotta' cool packed into 5"!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Jesus H Krykies man, your frigin killing me!!! I want some of your arturia concs if there is any way possible? And how busy will you be in about 4 to 5 weeks? I just may be in your area.

RB

Sorry Ron,

In 4 or 5 weeks I will be on vacation. Trading and collecting cool stuff with a guy that traded me some awesome Ammonites and a Trilo. I guess he may be in my area around then. Hopefully he has some unprepped Oregon crabs to trade. Maybe even one of those big new zealand crabs.

:)