Penn Dixie Report

Raggedy Man

My wife and I had a chance to take a 5 day trip to Penn Dixie in mid June. The overall drive time from Wisconsin was around 10 hours. The first day we visited the site we were amazed at the number of people there. During the day over 300 people had visited. When I first walked down to the pit, I noticed a fairly large size piece shale with many orange colored horn coral. I didn't think much of it as it looked highly degraded and just kept going.(We'll get back to this piece). The next few days it rained and we had the site all to us. This site was very peaceful and quiet, which was not the case the previous day.

The first few days we were finding the typical remains that one finds at Penn dixie. Every piece of shale had some trilobite fragment or horn coal. The sheer amount of trilobite fragments was amazing. Our last at the site would prove to the best time we've had hunting in a long time. When we arrived 3 school buses were unloading their students...a 3rd grade class. I spent about 2 hours splitting shale for the kids helping them reduce their weight load and exposing more fossils. It was surprising at their level of knowledge on the site. Most were well behaved, but you know kids! (Back to that piece of shale)

After walking back from grabbing some water I saw that piece of shale still there and untouched. So, I said welp...lets take a look inside. I grabbed my rock hammer and split the piece of shale...this was my reward!

More pictures to be added later.post-16036-0-89928500-1436209879_thumb.jpg

...I'm back.

Nice ones, Paul! :)

Thanks for posting these.

Was there myself last Friday, didn't do nearly as well as you.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That's all for now. This is about 1/10 of the specimens rescued from their lithotombs. I love a good tomb!

Best regards,

Paul

P.S. I'll post more photos here as I prep and catalog our finds.

...I'm back.

Tony, no. The first trilobite I posted(the iron oxide stained one) is. The rest came from different sections of the pit.

Paul

...I'm back.

What a great trip!!! 300 people in a day shocks me! I wouldn't have expected it to be that busy. Great finds despite the crowds that go there though!!!! :D

What a great trip!!! 300 people in a day shocks me! I wouldn't have expected it to be that busy. Great finds despite the crowds that go there though!!!! :D

It indeed was shocking. We arrived at 11am. It was their opening day to the public. Instead of just paying for daily use we bought a membership and saved money. I'll be visiting again before winter hits and again in may for the special event.

...I'm back.

Great finds, Paul and Laura. That big guy is spectacular!

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Such cool trilos! Must've been an amazing trip.