Ebay Onchopristis Numidus Rostrum, Real, Composite, Or Fake?

Velociraptor99

So I went on eBay to look for some these guys. I found some from a "reputable dealer" on eBay, they cost $9.99 per rostrum and he has over ten of them. They measure nearly 2 inches in length. The tooth pictured here is claimed to only be an example of what's available, and that the teeth will come in the pictured condition or better.

Now I know a little bit about these fossils. The fossils themselves are pretty common in Morocco, but are often found in pieces and are glued back together, or "composited". The intact teeth are much rarer. What sets me off is the price. I'm not sure if these guys are real, composited or intact.

There are only two thing that sell me on the legitimacy, the size of teeth are rather average, actually a little bit below average. As we know, teeth increase in value on account of size one other things, the bigger the tooth, the higher the cost. A medium size tooth, even if intact, might not fetch too much. The other factor the sells me is the satisfaction from previous customers, he's a "top-seller".

So can you tell me if these are the real deal intact? Or have they had repair, restoration of composition? If they do, I'll pass on the buy, I'd rather prefer an intact rostral tooth. Thank you in advance.

post-18599-0-38998200-1436218119_thumb.jpg

Edited by Velociraptor99

So I say to you, Ask and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and door will be opened for you. -Jesus Christ

Another picture of an example of an available rostral tooth.

post-18599-0-39537000-1436218939_thumb.jpg

Edited by Velociraptor99

So I say to you, Ask and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and door will be opened for you. -Jesus Christ

Just a slight correction - this is a rostral "tooth", not a rostrum.

A rostrum would be the entire "Saw" on a sawfish.

sawfishanatomy_external.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Haha thanks. You saved me the ordeal of making an error in the future. My sawfish vocabulary has been expanded exponentially!

They look OK. Although it happens, few will undertake the effort of restoration for fossils of nominal value.

The pics are not very clear but tooth looks like it is repaired. I would advise against buying something unless it is the exact item shown. The vast majority of the Moroccan Onchopristis are repaired, restored, or badly damaged. This year at the Tucson show I saw several hundred of them offered for sale from different dealers, and very few were complete and original. Also keep in mind that the term "top seller" is based on number of items sold, not the quality of the sold items or the knowledge of the buyers.

• I found this Informative 1

my thought is that there are at least 2 different parts ..but you'll need better pictures to be sure

post-10068-0-53130100-1436716364_thumb.jpg

Im with fitch1979. Looks like pieces different teeth put together to make one complete tooth. I use to sell a LOT of these.

RB

I bought it and I think you're right. I guess it doesn't bother me now, a intact tooth would probably fetch a high price, and when done right repair/restoration adds character to the piece. Most sawfish teeth are found in pieces anyways. And I'm very happy with my purchase, even if it is composited. The tooth is currently my favorite fossil! :)