Pseudocorax Sharks Teeth "tiny"

ALABAMAHEADHUNTER

We collect these tiny teeth at night . We lay on our stomachs with flash lights to find them . The

first time I found them was by accident . We were laying out on the chalk gullies looking at the stars .

I rolled over and looked at the chalk with my flash light . Tiny fossils appeared everywhere . Until

that night only 2 pseudocorax teeth were in the museum collection . I found 14 that night . I donated

all of them to the museum . I recently found these the same way . "NOTE" Collected in the Cretaceous

Mooresville Chalk Formation .

post-18844-0-90874900-1436242881_thumb.jpg

post-18844-0-10568200-1436242910_thumb.jpg

post-18844-0-89420000-1436243530_thumb.jpg

Nice finds and interesting method of collecting these teeth. You might try collecting some loose material that can be found in depressions in the chalk (if there is any material in the depressions) and screen the material through window screen or similar type of screen. You might be able to find more and be able to search the material in the comfort of your home. You might be able to find a lot of different species with this method.

Nice finds and interesting method of collecting these teeth. You might try collecting some loose material that can be found in depressions in the chalk (if there is any material in the depressions) and screen the material through window screen or similar type of screen. You might be able to find more and be able to search the material in the comfort of your home. You might be able to find a lot of different species with this method.

I actually think these would have made it through window screen . The first one I found had some even smaller than these . We

also found several bird bones and tiny vertebra . We have some really killer Cretaceous deposits here in Alabama . If you

haven't watched my first post on the hunt section , check it out . I brought home over 260 complete teeth and 300 to 400 mostly complete . We have some creeks that are full of fossils .

Can you image the bird bones?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Can you image the bird bones?

Unfortunately I found those years ago . At that time almost all of my fossils went into the Red Mountain Museum collection .

Back then I found around 20 separate bird bone fossils at several sites . I had an eye for them . A couple of the really cool

ones was a partial lower jaw and the sternum bone in the front of the rib cage . Most were limb bones . I haven't really

seriously collected fossils for 25 years . I have been collecting Indian artifacts but in recent years it has become

increasingly harder to find them in our area . I love hunting things so I seem to be steering back towards fossil hunting .

I know some great locations to collect here in Alabama . I don't tend to get attached to fossils like I do artifacts , I give most of them away to kids .

Boy, that's some rare stuff! Were they ever assigned taxonomically? I know of a few fragments of Icthyornis sp. from those or similar deposits. If you ever follow up, I'd love to hear!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Boy, that's some rare stuff! Were they ever assigned taxonomically? I know of a few fragments of Icthyornis sp. from those or similar deposits. If you ever follow up, I'd love to hear!

Since those days The Red mountain Museum was taken over by the Mcwane Center in Birmingham . It is more of a kids museum .

Most of the collection is packed in boxes . Probably never to be seen again . If I only new then what I know now ! There was a couple of years it seemed like every time I went collecting in the Mooresville Formation I would find bird bones . It was crazy

, I guess my eyes were honed in on them . Back then I went off frequently with the Paleontologist from the museum . I got to

help on some phenomenal digs . We worked on several Mosasaurs , a huge fish , many turtles and I got to help remove a complete

Basilasaurus Whale skull that was about 6 or seven feet long . I got to work in a cave in North Alabama that had at least 8 or 9 complete Ground Sloths in it . We had to be careful because every time we tried to clear around the bones of one we would

find another one . Some of the Sloth skulls were more than 2 feet long . These guys would stand at 13 or 14 feet tall .

Before that cave only one partial Sloth had ever been found in Alabama .

I have a long history in collecting fossils . These were some of the highlights of my years helping at the museum . One of my best friends is now the Curator at a new museum at the University of West Alabama . "Museum of the Black Belt" It is in Livingston , Alabama .

Time to shut up I can ramble on forever .

ALABAMAHEADHUNTER .

Ramble on, ramblin' man; I will listen for as long as you care to recount "those days" :)

Your experiences with volunteering for museums in particular would make great content in the Forum's "Partners in Paleontology" forum.: <LINK>

Hint hint... ;)