Great Lakes: Crinoid? Claw? Marine Arthropod? Bone?

InquisitiveOsteology

Maybe someone can help with a positive ID for a few things I found while walking along Lake Michigan? They are very tiny and nothing too spectacular... but it would be nice to know what I stumbled across. Thanks!

1. Tiny crinoid fossil? The side view is particularly interesting to me, because it resembles an artifact (bead) moreso than other images I found online of crinoid fossils.

post-18889-0-05055300-1436392936_thumb.jpg

2. Claw of some sort? I'm still trying to learn the grooves characteristic of various claws and teeth, so I wouldn't be surprised if I misidentified this.

post-18889-0-24403600-1436392984_thumb.jpg

3. Fossil of a marine arthropod?

post-18889-0-53863500-1436393091_thumb.jpg
4. Bone?
post-18889-0-44341400-1436393193_thumb.jpg

the only one I can ID for sure is the crinoid segment in the 1st pix. the rest do not look like fossils to me.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

2 looks like a pebble to me but the 3rd is interesting! 4 may be a small water worn bit of something but hard to say for sure. :)

I would say:

number 1 is a water-worn crinoid columnal;

number 2 is a water-worn rock fragment (not a fossil);

and number 3 is a tangential slice across a segment of crinoid stem still encased in rock.

Yours,

Paul H.

I agree with Herb on 1 and with Paul H on 1&3 .

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived