Any Ideas? Jaw With Teeth

mille22525

Any idea what animal this is from? It looks like a lower jaw with teeth spaced about 1/2 inch apart. It is about 9 inches long. It was found on Venice Beach, Venice Florida. It is well preserved. The color and texture resemble the inside of a conch shell. Thanks for sharing your ideas.post-18971-0-95430000-1436487721_thumb.jpg

Mystery solved ... Cameo or Helmet Shell Just got caught up in the Venice Florida Fossil Bed / Shark Tooth hunting.post-18971-0-25538000-1436496821_thumb.jpg

Edited by mille22525

That is the lip edge of a shell like a cowrie. Someone who knows shells better than I do will be able to tell you more.

Welcome to the forum!

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

That is the lip edge of a shell like a cowrie. Someone who knows shells better than I do will be able to tell you more.

Welcome to the forum!

That's what I was thinking :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Those darn mollusks are always out to trick us fossilers. Can't tell you how many times I've leaped at a shell masquerading as a megalodon.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Any idea what animal this is from? It looks like a lower jaw with teeth spaced about 1/2 inch apart. It is about 9 inches long. It was found on Venice Beach, Venice Florida. It is well preserved. The color and texture resemble the inside of a conch shell. Thanks for sharing your ideas.attachicon.giffossil2.jpg

At that size, I would think this is more likely the lip of a 'helmet shell'.

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ