Micro Air Abrasive 101 Pdf

micropterus101

Very interesting article, I've always wondered about those air abraiders. Thanks.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Doing some research on different air abrasive machines and came acrossed this handy tidbit of info.

micro air abrasive 101 pdf

That was actually quite good and accurate. It all applies to inverts also. Highly recommended to the beginner.

Thanks

crinus

JP Cavigelli (air abrasive author) and the Tate Museum, Casper Wy is putting on a 3-day conference on fossil preparation June 5th. Lots of interesting speakers and presentations lined up. Check out their web site for details.

http://www.caspercollege.edu/tate/index.html

Click on the tabs for "activities" and "summer conference"

Their dinosaur digs are also great! I've been attending since 2001.

(This is my first post to the forum as a new member--special thanks to MJB and micropterus 101 for your help and encouragement. JP was kind enough to give me MJB's email, which led me to your forum - thanks guys!)

Welcome to the Forum!

I'll spend some quality time exploring the Casper College link; something to dream about.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks, IVIV for the plug. Yes, indeed, we here at the Tate Museum are having our annual Tate Conference in June and I would like to invite all y'all to at least think about attending. The topic this year is "Fossil Preparation". A few of us (me and some volunteers) attended the First Annual Fossil Prepartation and Collecions Symposium at Petrified Forest last year. It was grand. And we even learned a thing or two. So I decided that we would host the Second Annual etc etc. The link is on IVIV's post. We are also having a day of workshops, which will inclusde a how-to on air abrasives. So far I have a rep from two air abrasive companies promising to show up.

The Tate Conference has bee an annual event here for 14 years now. With a different theme every year (last year it was "The Eocene Epic"... pun intended). We usually do two days of field trips and one day of talks, but this year since the subject is a hands on deal, we are doing a day of workshops instead of one day of field trip. The field trip will be to the local White River Formation and personal collecting is indeed allowed. We always have a good time, and eat well.

Any questions.... fell free to call me at work 307-268-2447 or email me: jpcavigelli at thingy caspercollege dot edu

Hey crinus... thanks for the "quite good and accurate" on my paper. In case yuo guys can't tell, I am a big fan of air abrasion. Its the only way to fly for lots of fossils. I just finished an Eocene bird wing from the Green River Fm. Not the usual fish beds, but a greenish shaley layer. Anyway, the bones were pretty weel crushed and sandblasting was the best way to prep it. (No pix available yet).

...I just finished an Eocene bird wing from the Green River Fm. Not the usual fish beds, but a greenish shaley layer. Anyway, the bones were pretty weel crushed and sandblasting was the best way to prep it. (No pix available yet).

I'll be waiting... B)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Doing some research on different air abrasive machines and came acrossed this handy tidbit of info.

Oh thats a good find. I'm just learning to use my abrasive machine to prep fossils and I've already ruined a nice phacops from morocco. Poor little guy. I'll put these techniques to use on my next trilobite. With any luck he won't suffer the same fate as his friend...

Thank you for very interesting article. How much air abrasive units will cost?

"It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of

intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living."

-Sir David Attenborough

Hey crinus... thanks for the "quite good and accurate" on my paper. In case yuo guys can't tell, I am a big fan of air abrasion. Its the only way to fly for lots of fossils. I just finished an Eocene bird wing from the Green River Fm. Not the usual fish beds, but a greenish shaley layer. Anyway, the bones were pretty weel crushed and sandblasting was the best way to prep it. (No pix available yet).

Yea, I am a big fan of air abrasion also. You can easily ruin a fossil with air abrasion so it helps to have experience. Almost every fossil on my we site has been cleaned by me using an air abrasion unit.

I am thinking of putting a link page on my web site. I plan to add a link to your pdf.

crinus

• 2 years later...

Micropterus when i click on your pdf it takes me to this link

http://www.vertpaleo.org//AM/Template.cfm?Section=Home&WebsiteKey=728ff585-2d68-45b8-b563-55ebe0693a01

is that right if it is where am i sopposed to go from there

Edited by Paleogirl98

This looks like it could be useful here too: Burke Museum Prep Lab Manual

• 10 years later...
1 hour ago, jpc said:

For those who might be interested, I just ran in to this old post and the dead link... here is the link to the actual powerpoint presentation:

https://vertpaleo.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Cavigelli_2007.pdf

Link doesn't work for me, JP.  :(

I just get a black page...

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Link doesn't work for me, JP.  :(

I just get a black page...

Thanks for letting me know.  It must be available only to SVP members.  

Here is the actual thing fresh off my laptop.  Cavigelli_2007 air abrasives 101.pdf

making it available to all here.  This is from 2007.  Before I had experimented with iron powder, which is an option, too.  

Edited by jpc
  • I found this Informative 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/19/2022 at 4:06 PM, jpc said:

Thanks for letting me know.  It must be available only to SVP members.  

Here is the actual thing fresh off my laptop.  Cavigelli_2007 air abrasives 101.pdf

making it available to all here.  This is from 2007.  Before I had experimented with iron powder, which is an option, too.  

This is a great presentation and I referred to it regularly when I was making my blast cabinet.  I would suggest this topic be moved to the Fossil Preparation section and be pinned so it is easy for everyone to find.  And @jpc I assume this is still current except for the option of using iron powder, which incidentally is what they use at Fossil Butte National Monument.

37 minutes ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

This is a great presentation and I referred to it regularly when I was making my blast cabinet.  I would suggest this topic be moved to the Fossil Preparation section and be pinned so it is easy for everyone to find.  And @jpc I assume this is still current except for the option of using iron powder, which incidentally is what they use at Fossil Butte National Monument.

I found out about iron powder after this was published.  I tried it and am not a big fan for what I tried it on.  But I keep it in my arsenal of tools.  I had to order it from Germany.