Age Of Attached Fossil

saqib123

Hi Experts,

I have a fossil and am attaching its pic. Can any one tell me its exact age.

I am waiting for experts reply.

Thanks

Saqib

post-18938-0-35527700-1437019074_thumb.jpg

post-18938-0-43532300-1437019090_thumb.jpg

Hi Saqib,

Welcome to the forum,

It can be difficult to tell the age of a fossil without any information on where the fossil came from.

Do you know?

Otherwise it will be a guesstimate based on the appearance of the fossil and/or the species.

Through biostratigraphy ( the turnover of species through time due to extinctions) an age estimate is often possible e.g a certain species of ammonite.

This looks like some sort of dinosaur tooth, perhaps from Morocco? Almost looks like Spinosaurus (late Cretaceous?) but I'm not an expert.

If you could give us some for info that would be helpful.

Edited by Doctor Mud

Welcome to the forum. I agree with Doctor Mud we need more information to answer your question. Difficult but it does look like a weathered rooted theropod tooth. The curvature on the crown would eliminate Spinosaurus. If dinosasurian you really need to know the locality of where it was found to determine age. If it's Morocco late cretaceous.

Thanks for your response. Which type of information is required for estimate the age? I found this fossil in our area in Pakistan.

Get a geological map of your area and see what the name of the geological age of the location is where you found the fossil. The name of the location itself could also help. And please read this:

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/42168-identification-posting-for-the-uninitiated/

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/