Mammal Teeth & Birdbone

Shellseeker

All of these are in great shape making me question whether or not any are fossil,

Added the Birdbone to see if Auspex could ID.

post-2220-0-03569700-1437102068_thumb.jpg

1/2 x 1.125 inches

post-2220-0-13414000-1437102115_thumb.jpg

3/4 x 1.125 inches

and the 2.4 inch bird bone:

post-2220-0-83985100-1437102231_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-34280900-1437102350_thumb.jpg

All comments appreciated.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

The colour suggests fossil. Where are they from?

Are these river finds?

If so they haven't been transported far from the source!

Edit: just saw the tag. These are Peace River finds. Must be close to the source if they are fossil.

The carpometacarpus is from a Phalacrocorax auritus; Double-Crested Cormorant.

It's a beauty :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Good on ya! Still pulling enviable specimens out of the Peace River long after most of us have given up on it for this season. The rainy season has finally (belatedly) started over on this coast of Florida--at least it waited till I could finish pressure cleaning my roof tiles. Been rainy over here the last couple of days and a check of the peninsular weather radar shows that the area that drains into the Peace looks to have gotten some good rains. I suspect Peace River posts will slow to a trickle as the last of the intrepid stalwarts finally throw in the towel.

Haven't got a clue on the bird bone but the paleolama tooth (with roots!) would be a trip-maker for me any day.

Cheers.

-Ken

What a pleasant surprise!. I have not been out this week. These were found a little over a week ago and just last night took the time to photo and post.

I realized that Mirafica was a possibility but because of the roots in the highly turbulent Peace River, also considered a modern calf. Thanks for the picture, Harry

This mammoth vertebra process came from the same spot. It is sand-mud-medium gravel composition location with no larger rocks. Seeing detail in the muscle attachment points means these have not been chipped by rocks or eroded by water.. As Doctor Mud says -- close to the source. This excitement will have to build over the summer because the water is chin deep now.

post-2220-0-74490700-1437145025_thumb.jpg

Thanks Auspex!! I did not really think that a specific bird was identifiable from a wing bone versus all the other birds around the same size. Just shows what I do not know about bird fossils. I did not think this could be fossil based on preservation, but given that many other items are coming up in pristine shape, maybe.....

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

I have no doubt that the carpometacarpus is a Pleistocene fossil. They're a lot tougher than they look, once mineralized. What you never see from an energetic environment are recent bird bones. ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Archived