reddesilets

Harleyville

reddesilets

Is anyone familiar with Harleyville in respects to hunts? Best I can tell from looking online, one of the mines dumps sediment on a lot by city hall for people to go through. Does anyone know if they still do that and if it's fruitful? I may try to go in the next couple of days with my little paleontologist.

Lee Taylor

I have been curious about Harleyville and I have of course perused it on Google maps. I have seen stunning full size teeth posted online that have come from Harleyville. I would say the same applies as anywhere else. You have to find property that you are allowed to trespass of which has little or no overburden. In other words, find a spot where the sedimentary formation is exposed to the earths surface. Or, find a creek that has cut through the overburden and into the formation. As usual, look for phosphate, limestone, sandstone, gray clay, and fossilized bone. The problem with Harleyville, IMO, is that it is getting too far away from the primary band of exposed formation that runs parallel to the coastline. The further inland one goes the more overburden that is piled on top of the fossil bearing layer.

Edited by Lee Taylor

reddesilets

I was considering two options: one is the lot I mentioned by city hall and the other is I apparently have a step cousin that lives there. :) Maybe he could help me out but I need to coordinate meeting with him through my mom and stepdad since, I don't think, I've met him yet. If I do go this weekend, I'll let you know how the sediment dump at the city hall lot goes. Toby has seen videos by blackriverfossils on YouTube of them pulling stunning teeth out of an actual mine but I don't know any mine that still does it (IIRC it's a 2 or 3 year old video). So he really wants to go check it out. I would hate to make that trip and have it be a total bust, but it's part of what fossil hunting is - scouting and even striking out.

Salty

Yeah, I too have been curious.It is farther away,but I have also seen pics of some sweet looking teeth! We will wait for the report! Good luck!

reddesilets

Lee Taylor

I was invited to hunt the Giant Cement open face mine a few years back. It was blazingly hot and very vast. Our finds were meager. The shoveling and the mid day sun were torture. I actually do not think we were hunting in a good spot. I got the distinct feeling that if I had large earth moving equipment and could move tons of earth through a sifter, then and only then I would be successful. There was just WAY to much earth and way to few fossils. Although very appreciative on my part for being allowed in, my suspicion is that we were not allow into the good stuff. Go figure ...

Edited by Lee Taylor

Lee Taylor

there are a few hidden open face mining operations around if you can get permission to hunt. There is HUGE money in phosphate. Apparently they mine it and deliver it to the buyer. I suppose if you have the right combination of things, it translates into truckloads of money

Edited by Lee Taylor

reddesilets

Yeah. As far as fossil hunting, to my best understanding there aren't any mining companies that let people (including the Smithsonian apparently) in anymore. Too much of a liability. I'm sorry I didn't get into this prior to them stopping doing that but I had Toby still at home as a little guy so there would not have been a way for me to do much hunting at that time - not comfortably anyway. Hopefully we can go tomorrow to check out that lot by city hall. I'll update if we have any luck. It'll just be me and Toby if we do go as Dunc really isn't interested and is bored with it. :P

Lee Taylor

I remember wanting to hike the Appalachian trail when mine were young.

reddesilets

Awesome! :) I would love to do that someday but more than likely would do it alone or with another adult. My health is improving and I hit a weight goal today (Yay me!) so maybe by the time the kids are all out on their own I'll be able to do something like that. :)

typhis

I have a good friend who hit the sediment dump on his way from FL to the Aurora Fossil Festival in May. Said it was horrible. He didn't stay long & didn't even bother to bring any buckets of matrix back with him. Barely anything there & what was, was very tiny.

reddesilets

I was thinking it would be like that... Still have that nudge to check it out.

kkborch

I have a friend that hunted the spoils behind city hall a couple weeks ago and it was a bust. I'm not sure how often they dump fresh material there but you should call city hall every couple of weeks and wait for a fresh pile, then wait for a heavy rain and go out there.

reddesilets

Good idea! It just poured here, dunno if it did in Harleyville though. Maybe we'll go ahead tomorrow morning and check it out and then touch base w/city hall periodically. Thanks!

Trish H.

I know this is from more than 2 years ago, but do they still do the dump site next to City Hall?  I've been hitting the beaches for years but would like to give other places a try.