Salem Formation Blastoid And Some "thing" From The Fern Glen Formation

Raistlin

So I hit quite a few areas today along I-55 and some of the outer roads in Missouri. Here are Two things I need IDs on. Both formations are Mississippian in age.

The first is a nice (my first full blastoid from this formation) blastoid and what looks to be pieces of what would have been a huge blastoid. I assume it is a pentremites, but I wonder if I can get more of an ID.

EeVzC6G.jpg

hcpSgaS.jpg

xWiBk6h.jpg

oXw8Bv0.jpg

yslXzzt.jpg

Next is the Fern Glen "thing". I have never seen anything like it. I found it at a road cut but in this spot only Fern Glen was from the ground up. This of course was laying on the ground. I think it looks sort of like a coral or bryozan. But all of it looks like it could be some sort of crystal formation as well. But again I have never seen anything like it in the Fern Glen.

k4WafbK.jpg

dDnBMnb.jpg

Rv3ZOHt.jpg

XIOOEHd.jpg

O5OqjbC.jpg

IJh2x1S.jpg

kY5qhBZ.jpg

Sc1xUnh.jpg

speT6V7.jpg

OyxOpbM.jpg

bPUrDCu.jpg

ZX5Jcxx.jpg

lRKfD03.jpg

Worst part of the day jumping back several feet and falling on my rear/back cutting my hand with some rocks I was carrying because I found a decent sized wasp nest under a rock that caused me to jump back as four wasps flew off the nest. I am allergic to bees/wasps. Bees I trust more than the wasp family, they always seem so aggressive. No stings today though. And yes I had my epipen with me.

Robert
Southeast, MO

I think the fern glen piece might be calcite.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Darn I was hoping for some sort of fossil. I mean it is still cool, and it was sort of weighty in my pack (probably) what helped make me fall back when I encountered the wasps. Oh well it will make an interesting piece to display ounce I get it really cleaned up.

Robert
Southeast, MO

that blastoid looks more like metablastus wortheni to me..you would have to uncover the bottom portion of it to be sure.

I don't think I will be able to uncover it any more than it is. I am not skilled enough on hard limestone like this.

Robert
Southeast, MO

looks like some species of Pentamerous to me, maybe the other , his a stromotoporiod?

Edited by Herb

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I think Pentremites.

Really good find.

Edited by Tidgy's Dad

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

The other pieces looks like a stalagmite base that has been fractured. Find you a small engraver and you should be able to get that blastoid out, just do not hit it or it will chip it. Packy

Neat finds, Robert! :)

Nice blastoid.

The travertine is cool looking.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me