Moroccan Trilobite Fossils Preparation

aeon.rocks

What an amazing thread! 

I love this. 

So great to see all these beautiful Moroccan trilobites so expertly prepped and looking quite exquisite. :wub:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

This thread rocks! I never imagined such detailed work could be done with scribes and needles. Really amazing!

:trilo: :dinothumb:

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

• 4 months later...

Reviving this old topic with a few prep pics of Dicranurus monstrosus...

The couche in Atchana:

10.thumb.jpg.cea92ae0dd837e13a5da573e16c464cb.jpg

When you find the remains of this ancient creature after almost 400 million years:

3.jpg.d17681cebc326f913d955bdd3e367957.jpg

Cephalon cleaned:

IMG_1280.thumb.JPG.443efe9813be2836aacc230e48f87008.JPG

All parts glued together: 

IMG_5044.thumb.JPG.901539c31fb1a27fdefa829fbd329931.JPG

and...

• I found this Informative 4

9 minutes ago, aeon.rocks said:

When you find the remains of this ancient creature after almost 400 million years:

3.jpg.d17681cebc326f913d955bdd3e367957.jpg

@aeon.rocks, for us newbies, would you mind pointing to exactly what you saw in the above that drew your attention?  Thanks!

Everything is generated through your own will power ~ Ray Bradbury

Wow! Your preparation skills are peerless, as always. All the very fine features, down to the tubercle texture, remains intact, too. That bug is certainly a testament to skill and patience. Bravo! :trilosurprise:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thank you!

Trilobites are rarely found well articulated, if lucky 1 in 3 promising looking cross sections of Dicranurus turn out good. As usual the specimens presented were preselected, most breaks (especially of spiny trilobites) are molted partial remains, so it's worth to be extra carefull on rare occassions when you get a good complete one to prep. 

@aeon.rocks, for us newbies, would you mind pointing to exactly what you saw in the above that drew your attention?  Thanks!

You could see the break through the cephalon with horns and the control break through the thorax. Was still a chance for problems, but you could see the bug is mostly complete. 

4.jpg.f7f01b23a50005224d0f1eb125e6890c.jpg

IMG_5159.thumb.JPG.3d776be0f254b8b6320e3281fa588062.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

:drool:  :trilosurprise:

That is just stunning! Releasing this spiny bug from it's hard rock prison and maintaining the fine details is just shy of miraculous.

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

I can only hope to active the level of prep work you conduct but out of curiosity what is the aluminium chloride for?

12 minutes ago, aeon.rocks said:

You could see the break through the cephalon with horns and the control break through the thorax. Was still a chance for problems, but you could see the bug is mostly complete. 

I think I had better invest in a dump truck....I'm going to be hesitant to throw anything aside from now on.

what is the aluminium chloride for?

In some cases it is used for photograpy to show more details. The technique is to cover the specimen with chloride smoke (vapour), so that this coating eliminates the reflections, translucency or color variations to see more contrast in the surface - more shape detail - on photos. I was just playing around with this specimen, but works great to show more detail with the diplomystus specimen I just finished preping (showed in another post). Can be difficult to coat evenly, but is easily removed by simply blowing it off or washing it with water.  

Aeon do you think there is ever any chance of you doing a video on YouTube of your prep work? I would love to see from start to finish how you get such amazing results, and what techniques you use. 

25 minutes ago, Haravex said:

Aeon do you think there is ever any chance of you doing a video on YouTube of your prep work? I would love to see from start to finish how you get such amazing results, and what techniques you use. 

I'm shy, don't really like cameras, hehe. But will give it a try. Was thinking about making a short video or two on several occasions already, to make a time lapse to get 20 or 30 or 50 hours into a short few minutes clip. Problem so far was time. As far as techniques go, it's boring to watch 50 hours of preparation lol, just a lot of patience and air-scribeing, air-scribeing, air-scribeing... and air-scribeing and air-scribeing at magnification... And air-scribing... And... Air-scribing... And short low pressure sandblasting for finish or inbetween... 

1 minute ago, aeon.rocks said:

I'm shy, don't really like cameras, hehe. But will give it a try

All we need to see are your hands! :rofl:

Maybe you could cover 5 minute intervals of prep work at various stages when you think a particular technique is used. Anyway I really do hope you decide to do so and look forward to watching it.

28 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

aeon.rocks rocks.:)

I know your just thinking wow I've seen so many specimens butchered this is amazing compared to Moroccan quality but good prep workers do exist in morocco.

8 minutes ago, Haravex said:

I know your just thinking wow I've seen so many specimens butchered this is amazing compared to Moroccan quality but good prep workers do exist in morocco.

Indeed they do. 

There are some true master preppers here. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

@aeon.rocks Excellent work!! And I know myself how difficult it is to tickle these things out of the matrix. Did you do it all with scribes, needles and abrader again or did you also resort to any chemical treatment?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Indeed they do. 

There are some true master preppers here. :)

Yes, exactly! Some Moroccan preparators are the best in the world if you ask me, unfortunately they often don't get any credit for their work and they often work for low rate (at least compared to preparators in the west), because to many sellers favour quantity vs quality (easier to sell) and Morocco is sadly still refered to as the country of fake fossils... I always say and one can not emphasie it enough: Moroccan diggers and preparators are the true experts and should get more credit! And Moroccan trilobites sell to cheap...

Did you do it all with scribes, needles and abrader again or did you also resort to any chemical treatment?

No chemical treatment... Mostly needles...

• I found this Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...

So... Not my video, but same type of work involved and a great video presentation by Maximo, have to share. Hope admins will allow the link for teaching purpose: 

On 24/09/2018 at 8:27 PM, aeon.rocks said:

So... Not my video, but same type of work involved and a great video presentation by Maximo, have to share. Hope admins will allow the link for teaching purpose: 

I can't see any link sadly could you send it via private message by chance would live to see this.

Thanks