Moroccan Trilobite Fossils Preparation

aeon.rocks

It's almost 1 year, since the last update, so... Here's an interesting bug, fresh from the lab - Psychopyge elegans, a bizzare trilobite with a very distinctive elongated rostrum coming off the top of it's head. It displays several broken pleural spines, few broken thorax spines, a missing-broken genal spine on the right side, plus in several parts broken pygidial spines and a broken rostrum. I almost put it aside unprepped (because time...), when I found out the right genal is missing, but I'm glad I didn't. There's a beauty in imperfection. This bug has a lot of character to show. A story...

IMG_3089.thumb.JPG.53bd492ebe67d12af6d86c74b8c7152f.JPG

• Enjoyed 11
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, aeon.rocks said:

It's almost 1 year, since the last update, so... Here's an interesting bug, fresh from the lab - Psychopyge elegans, a bizzare trilobite with a very distinctive elongated rostrum coming off the top of it's head. It displays several broken pleural spines, few broken thorax spines, a missing-broken genal spine on the right side, plus in several parts broken pygidial spines and a broken rostrum. I almost put it aside unprepped (because time...), when I found out the right genal is missing, but I'm glad I didn't. There's a beauty in imperfection. This bug has a lot of character to show. A story...

IMG_3089.thumb.JPG.53bd492ebe67d12af6d86c74b8c7152f.JPG

Love it. Wonder if some is predatory damage?

1 hour ago, Sjfriend said:

Love it. Wonder if some is predatory damage?

Wondering the same. All the spines on thorax right side are broken and missing (except for the first pleural spine), so this could be a sign of a successful predation. Also, shows how the spines served it's function in my opinion, although unfortunately the bug probably didn't make it.

6 hours ago, aeon.rocks said:

although unfortunately the bug probably didn't make it.

Bugs gotta crawl, predators gotta eat B) Though, could be a shed just after wounds and it survived to become the talk of the sea floor :thumbsu: Though, I find it unlikely with that damage. Would love a specimen like that. That is a great looking trilobite. You did a great job resurrecting it.

• 6 months later...
On 3/25/2021 at 5:15 PM, aeon.rocks said:

Again not Moroccan. :) Little juvenile Isotelus from the Walcott-Rust Quarry. I love these, they prep almost like Oufaten material. 

IMG_1221.thumb.JPG.fe3c4310d57539be4b1e0fbac9b3451d.JPG

IMG_1273.thumb.JPG.f3362ab5023b24a356aa5dabcd1ae1f7.JPGIMG_1274.thumb.JPG.5a310af1726378caa77e2983caae3fef.JPG

IMG_1331.thumb.JPG.e45d52bba0ce3c89e8182f8d0a6ff583.JPGIMG_1284.thumb.JPG.60b63094a5b6ae0fa7846a91ba5a9c20.JPG

Unbeleivably gorgeous work- I am an absolute sucker for these tiny Isotelus :trilosurprise: