John Hamilton

Kid Friendly Collecting Locations Near Duluth/grand Rapids Mn

John Hamilton

Just wondering if there are any kid friendly collecting areas near Duluth or Grand Rapids.

minnbuckeye

Hill Annex Mine State Park is the only possibility in your area. It is cretaceous era ocean fossils that are found, which Cretaceous is rare in Minnesota. In addition to fossil hunting (which I have never experienced there), mine tours are offered as well as other naturalist programs. Otherwise, fossils are not found north Taylors Falls area due to most rock being igneous/metamorphic. An option to replace fossils is to try your luck at collecting Lake Superior Agates. I would also suggest visiting the many waterfalls along the North Shore Drive on the way to Grand Marais. As my son grew up, we planned many trips to the Duluth area. If asked what he enjoyed most about our excursions, he would say playing in the waterfalls and jumping off the cliffs into the pools of water. Please post your finds if you agate or fossil hunt!!! If I can be of any other assistance, let me know.

SteveS

Hill Annex Mine State Park is the only possibility in your area. It is cretaceous era ocean fossils that are found, which Cretaceous is rare in Minnesota. In addition to fossil hunting (which I have never experienced there), mine tours are offered as well as other naturalist programs. Otherwise, fossils are not found north Taylors Falls area due to most rock being igneous/metamorphic. An option to replace fossils is to try your luck at collecting Lake Superior Agates. I would also suggest visiting the many waterfalls along the North Shore Drive on the way to Grand Marais. As my son grew up, we planned many trips to the Duluth area. If asked what he enjoyed most about our excursions, he would say playing in the waterfalls and jumping off the cliffs into the pools of water. Please post your finds if you agate or fossil hunt!!! If I can be of any other assistance, let me know.

There are some fossils to find, but it's thin picking. The agates are amazing. There are a few interesting fossils to find in that area. The Iron Range is loaded with stromatalite Jasper, which are some of the oldest fossils in the world. 2+ billion year old cyanobacteria colonies fossilized in iron. They look great polished. Off the Iron Range towards Grand Rapids and Bemidji, you can find Ordovician fossils in glacial deposits. I've found corals in the gravel pits in the Taconite area. I've done really well finding sea creatures in pits around Bemidji. The best bet is to figure out where you want to go, find a gravel pit, get permission (they've been pretty good about that in the area), and go during inactive hours.