Color Guide To Pennsylvanian Fossils Of North Texas

Conostichus

Almost there!

post-10743-0-55052900-1437317574_thumb.jpg

Over 270 pages of full color fossils from the Pennsylvanian of North Texas

The long-awaited sequel to the Pennsylvanian Fossils of North Texas (2003)

Available Q4 2015 in hardcopy, digital and e-reader formats.

Wonderful. My first edition is getting a bit thread-bare. Put me down for at least one hard copy.

Oooh, another for the library.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Sure to be a quintessential tome. McKinzie is the de facto schoolmaster of the Texas Pennsylvanian. I look forward to this acquisition, and hope it can help me ID some oddball finds.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Wow. I want, I want. I need, I need.

"Men became scientific because they expected Law in Nature, and they expected Law in Nature because they believed in a Legislator." - C.S. Lewis

• 5 months later...

Does anyone have any information about the release date? I've check Amazon, but they say it is unavailable.

"Men became scientific because they expected Law in Nature, and they expected Law in Nature because they believed in a Legislator." - C.S. Lewis

Does anyone have any information about the release date? I've check Amazon, but they say it is unavailable.

Says it is in stock, here. LINK

EDIT: Doh! Saw this wasn't the color guide.

Sorry.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I would like one also

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 6 years later...

I see that lulu.com has reissued a spiral bound version of this book at a very reasonable price of $22 plus shipping and tax. It is helpful for Pennsylvanian fossils outside of Texas too. I have identified Arizona Naco Formation fossils with it.

@BobWill Maybe Bob has seen this version. How is the quality?

https://www.lulu.com/en/us/shop/john-mcleod-and-mark-mckinzie/color-field-guide-to-pennsylvanian-fossils-of-north-texas/paperback/product-wwgned.html?page=1&pageSize=4

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

10 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

I see that lulu.com has reissued a spiral bound version of this book at a very reasonable price of $22 plus shipping and tax. It is helpful for Pennsylvanian fossils outside of Texas too. I have identified Arizona Naco Formation fossils with it.

https://www.lulu.com/en/us/shop/john-mcleod-and-mark-mckinzie/color-field-guide-to-pennsylvanian-fossils-of-north-texas/paperback/product-wwgned.html?page=1&pageSize=4

I have not seen it. I have compiled an errata list over the years if anyone's interested. I sent an incomplete version to Mark but it didn't get used for an earlier cd version. 

Edited by BobWill
  • I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, BobWill said:

I have not seen it. I have compiled an errata list over the years if anyone's interested. 

I’d love to see it. Is it ok to publish it here?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

13 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

I purchased it a little while back. Are you asking about the photo quality specifically? They aren't bad. Pretty decent for the price it was.

5 hours ago, BobWill said:

I have not seen it. I have compiled an errata list over the years if anyone's interested. I sent an incomplete version to Mark but it didn't get used for an earlier cd version. 

I'd also like to see that list.  Thanks!

Don

@FossilDAWG @DPS Ammonite this may not be complete or even accurate but I got permission from Mark to share it.

Color Guide Errata

page

book CD

58 61 Girtyocoleia and Girtycoelia both labeled Girtycoelia

239 242 P. semicircularis spelled “semicurcularis”

162 165 cyrtoconic spelled crytoconic in line 1

143 146 “Doguzhaeve et al.,1999“ not in references

241 244 caption says “second from the left” but with only two pictured it should be “right”

188 191 Aexitrophocrinus mcguirei spelled A. mcquirei in caption

40 43 Brachiopod Juresania spelled Jurensia

109 112 Order: "Pterioida" not "Ostreida"

231 234 Caption for bottom image reference to figure “238” should say figure “227”

228 231 Occipital region is described as front of skull and palatoquadrate as towards the back

229 232 same as previous page

77 80 Antiquatonia portlockiana is described as longer than wide

172 175 Prothalassoceras caddoense labeled as Imoticerass grahamense

172 175 ventral surface described as “keel” in caption but missing a keel

173 175 venter described as “keel” in text

172 175 ventral view is from another goniatite (too many suture lobes)

230 233 references to figure 214 should read figure 215

35 38 Parallelodon missing “lo” before “don”

180 183 top image not Schistoceras (too many suture folds)

8 11 crinoids, trilobites, sponges and corals omitted from fauna list

146 149 Domatoceras sculptile described as found at PV1 but not on fauna list

• I found this Informative 2

31 minutes ago, BobWill said:

this may not be complete or even accurate but I got permission from Mark to share it.

Thank you. I didn't check all of these but the ones I did are still listed as such in the color version. I have also noticed that under Hystriculina (Page 89) the pictures appear to be of Kutorginella lasallensis.

Looking back through it there are some images that are low quality while others are okay. It might be related to the quality of the original images themselves. I took some very quick pics of a few images so people have a more objective view than my ambiguous comment above.

IMG_9551.JPG

IMG_9552.JPG

IMG_9553.JPG

IMG_9554.JPG

25 minutes ago, Thomas.Dodson said:

Thank you. I didn't check all of these but the ones I did are still listed as such in the color version. I have also noticed that under Hystriculina (Page 89) the pictures appear to be of Kutorginella lasallensis.

I am inclined to agree due to the shorter hinge line if that is a valid reason, except that the bottom image may be correct for Hystriculina texana since that one appears longer.