Is This Ebay Monster Meg Tooth Real?

Fossil Claw

Do you think this monster sized tooth is real? Looks like it may have been polished. Does that ruin the tooth?

It looks to be near 7 inches which would be huge if it is real.

post-16815-0-15121600-1437388149_thumb.jpg

The root looks fabricated. It harder to tell about the enamel but that appears suspect as well. I am curious why such a shiny tooth lacks serrations. I suppose it could have been polished. Still. My best guess is fake or with a totally rebuilt root.

Edited by mrieder79
  • I found this Informative 1

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole; it has, in the least, been 'heavily manipulated'. Beyond that, I do not find it the least bit attractive.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

As with any piece, "in hand" is the only way to adequately evaluate. There may be other clues - How much is it? How does the seller describe it?

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

It seemed off to me but I couldn't place why. It is fun learning from all of you.

The root looked wide compared to the seemingly norrow body of the tooth for the size of the tooth. The shinny surface looked too shinny and the lack off or limited serations are what seemed off to me.

Edited by Fossil Claw

Current high bid is $42.

Described as unknown estate sale find.

Not a lot to go on, but a little relevant info. The bids (don't know how long it's been offered) are waaaaay low for a tooth of that size - infer that other bidders also smell a rat. "unknown estate sale," could be legit; but it could also be a clever seller trick to distance themselves from the piece should conflict (eBay dispute) arise (e.g. "The listing said the fossil was unknown to me.")

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

It looks completely fake to me. The root doesn't look right at all. A real tooth that size would go for thousands, so you know something is off. You know the old saying, " if something seems too good to be true, it is". Steer clear of this thing.

A tooth of that size and the bids so low should be a message to stay away, I am sure you have looked at teeth much smaller at greater bids than this one. Not all fossils on Ebay are authentic so do your research and be careful. The gloss on the tooth and others listed by sellers, they use mineral oil to bring out the colors and enhance the tooth----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Looks like a five inch tooth with a heavy duty mustache.

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.