3 1/4 Inch Black Croc Tooth - Elosuchus?

-Andy-

Hi all, I've just purchased a lovely 3 1/4 inch black crocodile tooth. It supposedly comes from the Kem Kem formation, and is Elosuchus. As I'm aware however, Kem Kem fossils are usually red or brown, and Elosuchus teeth are slightly rounded.

post-4888-0-75724400-1437750421_thumb.jpg post-4888-0-73325400-1437750430_thumb.jpg

Other Elosuchus. The beautiful rooted one belongs to AJ Plai.

post-4888-0-63886600-1437750424_thumb.jpg post-4888-0-05131900-1437750427_thumb.jpg

The one I just got. The seller said it came from one of the larger teeth at the front of the jaw.

Any ideas?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Andy I know very little about this species but have attached a PDF on it which may help you on the I D. The paper does not show any teeth similar to yours although it may fit in the front of the jaw. Question I have to you is how did the seller ID this tooth if the paper which described the species does not show it.

AJ's teeth are clearly identified in the paper.

I'm also concerned about the preservation the color its all wrong for the Kem Kem.

00b7d526a44f4c86ac000000.pdf

Andy I know very little about this species but have attached a PDF on it which may help you on the I D. The paper does not show any teeth similar to yours although it may fit in the front of the jaw. Question I have to you is how did the seller ID this tooth if the paper which described the species does not show it.

AJ's teeth are clearly identified in the paper.

I'm also concerned about the preservation the color its all wrong for the Kem Kem.

attachicon.gif00b7d526a44f4c86ac000000.pdf

Thanks Troodon! He said it's not black, rather a v. deep brown.

My seller said he got it from a friend who collected it personally. I believe him as he's always been a knowledgeable and trustworthy man.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Given that it comes from the Kem Kem the question at hand is where is the evidence from the seller that this tooth comes from Elosuchus other than someone's personal opinion? The problem that may exist is that there is no scientific evidence that shows a complete dentition from this species. I don't know just raising questions that you can discuss with your seller.

Given that it comes from the Kem Kem the question at hand is where is the evidence from the seller that this tooth comes from Elosuchus other than someone's personal opinion? The problem that may exist is that there is no scientific evidence that shows a complete dentition from this species. I don't know just raising questions that you can discuss with your seller.

I get what you mean.

My seller didn't personally collect this tooth, so this could well be a case of mistaken identity. I'd like to hear other people's thought on this tooth, and if anyone recognized a similar specimen from elsewhere. It isn't with me yet, so an upclose examination might yield new insights.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay... after consulting the experts, I'm sure now my tooth is indeed from Kem Kem.

But it isn't Elosuchus. Does anyone here have any suggestions for what crocodile might possess such a tooth?