Possible Fish Scale Found At Rockport Quarry Alpena Mi

Marcus B

My father and I just got back from a fossil hunting trip to Alpena and found this in Rockport quarry. We are thinking it might be a fish scale but we really have no clue.

post-19034-0-14150800-1437844305_thumb.jpg

That reminds me of some Placoderm armor!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Could you provide some sort of method to show scale (size) of your find. A ruler or coin placed beside it perhaps.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Hopefully this will hope with the id let me know if there are any other angles you would like to see it from.

post-19034-0-05661700-1437924179_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marcus B

I was on a fossil hunting trip in Canon City, CO and I found something which looks similar to that. It was a tiny blueish-gray scale for a jawless fish (possibly Eriptychus). My fossil was found in the Ordovician age Harding Sandstone. When viewed by the naked eye it had some kinds kinda like yours, but under the microscope it had some ridges and pockmarks. Does yours have any.

It does have ridges in it that's one of the reasons I thought it might be a scale and thanks for the input as well.

Oh that's awesome thank you all for the help it's my first one and I am very excited to have an id for it

Hard to tell from the picture,but for me looks more like Holonema sp.

Edited by abyssunder

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library