Heteromorph Cephalopod Question

howard_l

Someone posted a picture on the Fossil Forum Facebook page of what appears to be a heteromorph Cephalopod that was given to them from the Decatur, TX area. There has been quite a bit of discussion on the picture. I wanted to see what the main group thought?

post-6251-0-19685400-1437949105_thumb.jpg

Need more close up pictures, what is the scale? ----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Frankly, it looks carved to me..

post-423-0-80351800-1437950944_thumb.jpg

click to enlarge

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The image definitely looks odd but without the original poster participating it will be pure speculation. It's also telling that the original poster did not become involved in the Facebook discussion.

He did say it was 4 inches at it's widest, sorry.

I assume that means the purported ammonite, not the matrix.

Look at the pattern and weathering of the matrix surface; I am ever more convinced that this is a fabrication.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Looks carved to resemble a huge Ideohamites fremonti which I have found 10 miles north of Decatur, but they made the ribs too far apart and I agree with Auspex about the matrix. It would have been preserved perpendicular to the layers of sediment.

Edited by BobWill

• 1 month later...

Would you want to explain why you think that it is a false fossil please? So that everybody learns to recognize them ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Would you want to explain why you think that it is a false fossil please? So that everybody learns to recognize them ;)

Coco

Coco

False fossil means not real, fake, man made, phony

Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Hi,

Hey Tom

Don't

I think Coco wants to know WHY You think it is fake.

Tony

You are right ! I just wanted to draw the attention on the fact that to say that " it is about a false fossil" is not constructive if we don't have explanation or to know why ! don't hold it against me ! ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I have been unable to find an image of an ammonite that does not have at least one fairly tight coil in the beginning.

This deficiency reinforces my impression that this is a fabrication, and a fanciful one at that.

Yes, I agree with Auspex.I already researched to find answers but I can't find a specimen that match completely...Lets wait for other ammonite experts opinion, like Ludwigia.