Ordovician Trilobite Id

MarcusFossils

Hello fellow fossil hounds!

Just picked these up in a truly wonderful shop in Lacombe, Alberta, Canada. I think they're from the Ordovician of Craigleith, Ontario, Canada. Pseudogygites latimarginatus? Same Id for both? The labelling was a bit unclear...

1. post-15490-0-49759400-1437955823_thumb.jpg

2. post-15490-0-98858300-1437955859_thumb.jpg

Have a great day, and thanks in advance for any and all responses!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.”

Edgar Allan Poe

The bottom photo shows several pygidia of Pseudogygites latimarginatus. It could be from Craiglieth, or the Ottawa area, or the Oshawa/Bowmanville area (all in Ontario). This is an Upper Ordovician species.

The top photo looks like Asaphiscus wheeleri, which is common (second only to Elrathia kingi) in the Antelope Springs, Utah area (Middle Cambrian). These trilobites are quarried at U-Dig Fossils and other pay-to-dig quarries in the area. If you look closely you may find examples of Elrathia and other trilobites (Peronopsis for example) on or in the slab.

Don

Great!I'm not an experte in trilos, but the second seems a Pseudogygites latimarginatus (as you said)...I especulate that because of the cefalon shape, the number of pleuras and the pygidum format.

The bottom picture does seem to be a Pseudogytes, but being an expert in Cambrian trilobites, that top one is definitely (I mean definitely) an Asaphiscus wheeleri.

The pseudo looks more like the matrix I have seen from Craigleith than Bowmanville, but definitely a pseudo

Thanks everyone! Great information!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

“It is by no means an irrational fancy that, in a future existence, we shall look upon what we think our present existence, as a dream.”

Edgar Allan Poe

Archived