Moroccan Mosasaur Tooth With Serration?

AJ Plai

I came across this Moroccan Mosasaur tooth ID'd as Prognathodon giganteus from Ouled Abdoun and saw that it has serration that's not usually seen on Mosasaur, at least from as far as I know:

post-10857-0-35176400-1437975835_thumb.png

post-10857-0-44289700-1437975852_thumb.png

Close up of the serration:

post-10857-0-33306200-1437975894_thumb.jpg

What do you guys think this could be from?

That's a pretty big mosasaur tooth! I have a prognathodon tooth myself, albeit much smaller and not as good in condition. It looks pretty similar, although I myself have never seen a mosasaur tooth with serrations yet, I guess it's possible. I'm no expert, but it looks like a prognathodon to me. I wouldn't bet on it though, others know much more than I do.

So I say to you, Ask and it will be given to you; search, and you will find; knock, and door will be opened for you. -Jesus Christ

AJ

I've seen serrated Mosasaur teeth at the Tucson show but cannot talk about the frequency of that occurrence. If you look at the pinned topic Moroccan mosasurs by jnoun11 he comments under Prognathodon Curii that they are occasionally serrated. So it looks like it occurs but that about all I can add to this discussion.

I have beaugei and curii teeth, and they are both serrated.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Archived