Where To Fossil Hunt Near Torrey Utah?

JamieLynn

Hello Fossikers! I am going to be in Torrey Utah and surrounding area in mid September and would love to go hunting somewhere....any suggestions? I'm not at all familiar with the area so any info would be most appreciated! Thanks!!

From the Fossilsites, Utah page:

Fremont Wayne UT In area exposures Triassic Bell Springs dinosaurs-tracks-Agialoupus UT0198 http://keckgeology.org/files/pdf/symvol/11th/Utah/charette.pdf |

Hanksville Wayne UT In area exposures petrified_wood UT0167 38.3722,-110.7139,,MCU | ,

Hanksville Wayne UT Jurassic Morrison plants UT0166 38.3722,-110.7139,,MCU | ,

Torrey Wayne UT In area gravels silicified_wood,dinosaurs-bones UT0168 38.2989,-111.4183,,MCU |

I hope you get some guidance from the locals, there. :)

Good luck.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

There is a huge deposit of "Devils Toenails" just outside Capitol Reef. Anyone in Torrey can tell you how to get there. They are so abundant that they use them to gravel the roads. You can find a few more rare items if you spend enough time.

GPS N 38 19.860 / W 111 26.763

On UT 24 leaving the East Boundary of Capitol Reef drive East for 4.2 miles. at .06 mile you will see a sign that says Notom; don't take this. At 4.2 you will see a "Stop Sign" on a dirt road coming from the right. This is the Old Notom Road. Take this road and go 0.2 miles and park on the right side of the road.

A local might give better directions.

Edited by sseth
  • I found this Informative 2

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

There is a huge deposit of "Devils Toenails" just outside Capitol Reef. Anyone in Torrey can tell you how to get there. They are so abundant that they use them to gravel the roads. You can find a few more rare items if you spend enough time.

GPS N 38 19.860 / W 111 26.763

On UT 24 leaving the East Boundary of Capitol Reef drive East for 4.2 miles. at .06 mile you will see a sign that says Notom; don't take this. At 4.2 you will see a "Stop Sign" on a dirt road coming from the right. This is the Old Notom Road. Take this road and go 0.2 miles and park on the right side of the road.

A local might give better directions.

I've been to this site and it truly does have shells for miles. Easy collecting but somewhat monospecific.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I found the U-Dig Trilobites park about 3 hours from Torrey...that is definitely where will be headed. Not so interested in gryphia and exogyria...we have lots of those here in central Texas.

Good luck Jamie Lynn! :fingers crossed:

Regards,

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

• 2 years later...
28 minutes ago, Navajo said:

Hi, im going to Capitol Reef, where can I find fossilize wood or dinosaur bones?

I do not know of the sites near there, but collecting vertebrate fossils on public lands is illegal in the United States, including Utah state lands.. Also all rock collecting is illegal in National Parks and Monuments.

In order to legally collect dinosaur fossils You would need permission from a private landowner.

Would hate to see You get into trouble for not knowing.

Good Luck on Your trip!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

• 1 year later...

Hello GPS posters,

Having GPS locations is very helpful so thanks for including them on two of the posts. However, I wonder if one of you can offer some help. I went looking for these locations in Google Earth. For fossildude 19, when I enter your GPS coordinates, I get one location in downtown Hanksville and another in downtown Torrey. Strange. And to Hard Rock Fisherman I assume your coordinates refer to the road you mention E of Capital Reef, but Google Earth drops the pin NNW of Torrey, on the West Side of Capital Reef. Any insight as to why I am getting what I think are wrong pin locations? Thanks. Tom

22 minutes ago, kauai1800 said:

This is a great thread for me as I am also going to be in Torrey UT this summer. Sad that fossilsites.com website is no longer in action. Here's a similar link now that it's 4 years later...

http://www.collectingfossils.org/fossils-america/ut/utahfossilsites.htm

Hello kauai, you are in an even more fossil poor area than I have, at least in terms of older material. My approach to finding places includes getting local BLM maps. I have ordered, but not received the Loa map, which cover just to the E of Capital Reef. I think this is the map I need, which is the area to the W of the Hanksville BLM map. I also asked the regional BLM field office if they had suggestions outside the park and the response was there are fossils in the Factory Butte area off BLM routes  0091 and 0090, as well as the locations mentioned on fossil forum off Notom Road. I don’t have the BLM map yet to peg these by gps coordinates. Hope you have a good trip. This is a beautiful area and a visit to Capital Reef is worth it. Safe travels. Tom

4 hours ago, kauai1800 said:

This is a great thread for me as I am also going to be in Torrey UT this summer. Sad that fossilsites.com website is no longer in action. Here's a similar link now that it's 4 years later...

http://www.collectingfossils.org/fossils-america/ut/utahfossilsites.htm

Link fixed with Donald Kenney's Fossil Page.

Same info, different site. You can also download the list in .CSV format.

Also, the old FossilSites.com is located HERE.  ;)

Fossildude19 - Many thanks for these links! Glad all this info is still available.

Ober -that's really funny (and helpful!) about Factory Butte Road - I have identified numerous spots near there. It's definitely one of my stops. And your suggestion to check out BLM maps led me to their geo-referenced Recreation Maps page which has some very nice and detailed color maps. Never seen this before so big mahalo.

I'm going to start spending more time here on the forum now that I have my basic trip laid out and know basically where I'll be when - you folks know SO much that can help me.

"Ain't no fossils in Hawaii...."

There are also several interactive mapping sites that can show Surface ownership throughout UT.

https://parcels.utah.gov/     This is managed by the state of UT.  You will need to turn on the ownership layer (button in top right corner of the map

https://blm-egis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=6be0174d44f04f1c853197cadcfa89f0     This is a map viewer maintained by BLM. Shows ownership and has many additional layers that may / may not be useful.

Aloha SmittyNM - my family lived in Santa Fe for years up on Camino Sin Nombre...love it there. Hey, I can't find the 'ownership' button. I see the layers in the upper right corner but it's only giving me different map options...? Maybe I don't get it? It's happened before :)

"Ain't no fossils in Hawaii...."