JamieLynn

Where To Fossil Hunt Near Torrey Utah?

JamieLynn

Hello Fossikers! I am going to be in Torrey Utah and surrounding area in mid September and would love to go hunting somewhere....any suggestions? I'm not at all familiar with the area so any info would be most appreciated! Thanks!!

Fossildude19

From the Fossilsites, Utah page:

Fremont Wayne UT In area exposures Triassic Bell Springs dinosaurs-tracks-Agialoupus UT0198 http://keckgeology.org/files/pdf/symvol/11th/Utah/charette.pdf |

Hanksville Wayne UT In area exposures petrified_wood UT0167 38.3722,-110.7139,,MCU | ,

Hanksville Wayne UT Jurassic Morrison plants UT0166 38.3722,-110.7139,,MCU | ,

Torrey Wayne UT In area gravels silicified_wood,dinosaurs-bones UT0168 38.2989,-111.4183,,MCU |

I hope you get some guidance from the locals, there. :)

Good luck.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

sseth

There is a huge deposit of "Devils Toenails" just outside Capitol Reef. Anyone in Torrey can tell you how to get there. They are so abundant that they use them to gravel the roads. You can find a few more rare items if you spend enough time.

GPS N 38 19.860 / W 111 26.763

On UT 24 leaving the East Boundary of Capitol Reef drive East for 4.2 miles. at .06 mile you will see a sign that says Notom; don't take this. At 4.2 you will see a "Stop Sign" on a dirt road coming from the right. This is the Old Notom Road. Take this road and go 0.2 miles and park on the right side of the road.

A local might give better directions.

Edited by sseth

JamieLynn

great!! Thanks ya'll!

Shamalama

There is a huge deposit of "Devils Toenails" just outside Capitol Reef. Anyone in Torrey can tell you how to get there. They are so abundant that they use them to gravel the roads. You can find a few more rare items if you spend enough time.

GPS N 38 19.860 / W 111 26.763

On UT 24 leaving the East Boundary of Capitol Reef drive East for 4.2 miles. at .06 mile you will see a sign that says Notom; don't take this. At 4.2 you will see a "Stop Sign" on a dirt road coming from the right. This is the Old Notom Road. Take this road and go 0.2 miles and park on the right side of the road.

A local might give better directions.

I've been to this site and it truly does have shells for miles. Easy collecting but somewhat monospecific.

JamieLynn

I found the U-Dig Trilobites park about 3 hours from Torrey...that is definitely where will be headed. Not so interested in gryphia and exogyria...we have lots of those here in central Texas.

Fossildude19

Good luck Jamie Lynn! :fingers crossed:

Regards,

Navajo

Hi, im going to Capitol Reef, where can I find fossilize wood? Not in the park

ynot
28 minutes ago, Navajo said:

Hi, im going to Capitol Reef, where can I find fossilize wood or dinosaur bones?

I do not know of the sites near there, but collecting vertebrate fossils on public lands is illegal in the United States, including Utah state lands.. Also all rock collecting is illegal in National Parks and Monuments.

In order to legally collect dinosaur fossils You would need permission from a private landowner.

Would hate to see You get into trouble for not knowing.

Good Luck on Your trip!