A Few Of My Lyme Regis Fossils

Koss1959

Hi Lee.... Thats fossiling for you...knowledge and luck coming together... In a similar way I found a big Sulciferites that fossil tour after fossil tour walked past every day, prepped it and went back for another look and hey presto theres another.... Quite bizzare really... cant wait to see the new one finished....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

It is strange, but I'll be keeping an eye out around that spot. It's hard looking for them as they never seem to be in nodules like other ammonites. Everything about the rock you find apo's would usually say "don't bother". I think that's why they're rarely found.

I have been admiring your ammonites lately. How do you find so many large ammonites with intact centres? I assume most of yours come from Monmouth, too? I'm pretty unequipped to deal with such large rocks at the moment but would like to get out and find some larger ammonites. How do you find them? I can't imagine they're in nodules. Is it usually just a keel poking out?

Also, worked out I have a bit more money to myself than I thought this month, so I can send the apo off Monday most likely.

Edited by Koss1959

Hi Lee.... The big ammonites, its all I have looked for really over the past years although I havent been down Lyme for a while.... I probably have 10 lyme shells sat here ready to prep....The preservation differs significantly over the shells and as any prepper of these knows there can be some minor restoration required in the centres.... but not every shell as I have found out....They are not in nodules but in the limestone layers and your looking for keels or signs that they are in there...

Cant wait to see the Apo...

Have you tried prepping yourself?

Thanks for the advice. The Apo was sent off the other day and received by Mark Hawkes today. He said it looks good. I have briefly tried prepping with a friend's gear in Lyme. I'm moving out soon to a place where I can build a big workshop. Should be able to buy equipment soon.

Thanks for the advice. The Apo was sent off the other day and received by Mark Hawkes today. He said it looks good. I have briefly tried prepping with a friend's gear in Lyme. I'm moving out soon to a place where I can build a big workshop. Should be able to buy equipment soon.

Lee....Look forward to seeing the Apo.... I can give you an hour sometime to get you going on a big Lyme shell... But I warn you... You'll be hooked and theres no going back !.....

Hi Lee... I carry all my finds in an old framed rucksack... Yes you must have to upgrade you hammer a little lol... Some good chunks came down east of Lyme too with ammonite pavement shells in them... I dont know whats left of those this was a while ago....Good luck...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lee fantastic fossils, I have found two lovely Apos I think in pieces at Charmouth. I am currently trying to put them together. Not really been to Lyme yet. Love it there.

Love your fossils. Trying to prep my own at the moment, I am new to that.

Nick

Yet more spectacular fossils. I love the ammonites (always special to me as they are my favourites)

Thanks for sharing

Regards

Mike

• 2 months later...

OK the Apoderoceras I've been talking about on the last page is back. So is the "mystery ammonite".

IMG_20160730_105432.jpg

IMG_20160730_105507.jpg

IMG_20160730_105617.jpg

That's the Apo. The tiny ammonite is a Phricodoceras. Extremely rare apparently.

And here the the mystery ammonite. A Euagassiceras! Very rare and a very high quality one. It's just over five inches.

IMG_20160730_105745.jpg

IMG_20160730_105827.jpg

IMG_20160730_105921.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Hi,

These are spectacular! Thank you for sharing them.

Hope to visit Lyme Regis later this year as my husband loves his ammonites. Will have to do a lot of reading up first as a completely different type of foreshore to what we are used to as our brief pit stop at Charmouth proved to us.

Debs

Sweet finds indeed,I have to get my British friend out to the coast, but think not. ;)

Jeff

I love the spikey one. I've never seen that, even in photos. All of your specimens are amazing. Thanks for showing them.

Info: Craig Hyatt, retired software/electrical engineer

Experience: Beginner, fossil hunting less than a year

Location: Eagle Pass, TX USA on the border with Mexico, hot dry desert

Formation: Escondido, Marine, Upper Cretaceous

Materials: Sandstone, Mudstone, Shale, Chert, Chalk

Typical: Thalassinoides, Sphenodiscus, Exogyra, Inoceramus

Reference: http://txfossils.com/Txfossils.html

Koss.... Nice shells again....The Apodioceras has come out really well... Love the Eugassiceras you dont see many of them... I did a trade for an unprepped one once it came out well....

I missed the Phricodoceras... lol... Wow.... Thats a serious piece....Well done...

Nice ammonites, and some rarities too!

Good for you!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me