Devonian Plant

Lawsondt

I found this in an excavation site in Wayne County, PA, so I'm assuming Devonian period. Thoughts?

post-19176-0-13790200-1438112813_thumb.jpg

According to this Geologic Bedrock Map, there is a bit of Pennsylvanian aged strata that outcrops in Western Wayne County.

Can you be a bit more specific as to where in Wayne county?

Looks like plant, definitely.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Tim - I found it in on the outskirts of Waymart along Elk Lake, so middle-western Wayne County, PA. This area definitely fits in the Devonian area per the map. The bedrock had been dynamited and I'm thinking this piece came from about 15 feet below the surface.

Rockwood - the branching leaflets make me think its not just root cast, but I don't know.

This, whatever it is, is very interesting! My impression is that it is plant material, but I have no idea what.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I found this in an excavation site in Wayne County, PA, so I'm assuming Devonian period. Thoughts?

If this turns out to be Pennsylvanian Im thinking it could be something like 7 or 9 in this link

http://www.georgesbasement.com/LesquereuxAtlasP/Lesquereux-Plate75.htm

best regards Chris :)

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

Chris - thanks for your response and reference to Lesquereux's index. I found the piece in Devonian but less than 3 miles from Pennsylvanian.

I'm not sure about 7 (Rachiopterides affinis) because the leaves/roots/rhizomes (?) in 7 are not pinnate, whereas my piece is.

Looking through the rest of Lesquereux's index, the closest I see is Chordaites Mansfieldi because of the bottom reference to the pinnate:

http://www.georgesbasement.com/LesquereuxAtlasP/Lesquereux-Plate78.htm

I haven't found any Devonian plants that resemble what I have, so maybe this is Pennsylvanian??

Chris - thanks for your response and reference to Lesquereux's index. I found the piece in Devonian but less than 3 miles from Pennsylvanian.

I'm not sure about 7 (Rachiopterides affinis) because the leaves/roots/rhizomes (?) in 7 are not pinnate, whereas my piece is.

Looking through the rest of Lesquereux's index, the closest I see is Chordaites Mansfieldi because of the bottom reference to the pinnate:

http://www.georgesbasement.com/LesquereuxAtlasP/Lesquereux-Plate78.htm

I haven't found any Devonian plants that resemble what I have, so maybe this is Pennsylvanian??

Hi Lawsondt

Im Glad the reference was of use , I also have not found anything resembling your nice specimen in my research of Devonian plants . Im inclined to agree with you on Chordrdiates mansfieldi being a better match than Rachiopterides affinis

Saying that it would be great if a devonian match could be found for the specimen, its certainly an intriguing find

best regards chris :)

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

Chris and Tim - thank you for taking the time to help me try to identify this piece. I appreciate the exposure to the reference material and the heads up on the close proximity to Pennsylvanian. I'll be sure to post any updates.

Cheers,

Dan

Archived