A Trip To Big Brook On Saturday August 1St ..join Us.

njfossilhunter

Frankh8147 and I are going to Big Brook this coming Saturday August 1st ....If anyone like to join us you are more then welcome. We will be meeting at the Boundary RD bridge at 10am .... If any one needs directions let me know. I'm sure it will be lots of fun.

Tony

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Good luck to you, Tony! :fistbump:

Wish I could make it, but due to previous engagements I can't. :shake head:

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I wish!

Ohhhh....come on Carl....Are you going to make it to the 8/23 trip????

Good luck to you, Tony! :fistbump:

Wish I could make it, but due to previous engagements I can't. :shake head:

Regards,

Thanks Tim.....much appreciated ...maybe you can make the 8/23 trip.

Edited by njfossilhunter

Tony

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

Tempting! I'll have to ask the wife what's going on this weekend first. Only have one car at the moment (after my 3 year old daughter decided to write on our other car with a stone) and of course the AC goes out in our other car this week.... fun times.

Tempting! I'll have to ask the wife what's going on this weekend first. Only have one car at the moment (after my 3 year old daughter decided to write on our other car with a stone) and of course the AC goes out in our other car this week.... fun times.

I hope you can make it...That sinks about your car's

August 23rd is still looking good!

I hope so...

Tony

Definitely not enough time for me to get off of work. But if there's a trip on the 23rd, I can swing that one.

Definitely not enough time for me to get off of work. But if there's a trip on the 23rd, I can swing that one.

Thats great....I will be looking forward to you joining us.... :)

Edited by njfossilhunter

Tony

Got the call tonight the car is done at the body shop. I'm leaning towards being able to make it with my son. It's the only sight that we've been to with something besides crinoids and shells...lol. He's excited to find some more teeth.

Got the call tonight the car is done at the body shop. I'm leaning towards being able to make it with my son. It's the only sight that we've been to with something besides crinoids and shells...lol. He's excited to find some more teeth.

Well I hope you can make it Saturday....We will meet at the Boundary Road bridge at 10am ...do you know how to get there...let me know

Tony

I see it on the map. I'm coming in from the west on Vanderburg Rd. I'd assume just make a left onto Boundry. Last time we went I believe I went to Hillsdale Rd. It was a bit tricky getting into the creek from that area. (ok..I slipped and fell in, I'll admit it).

I see it on the map. I'm coming in from the west on Vanderburg Rd. I'd assume just make a left onto Boundry. Last time we went I believe I went to Hillsdale Rd. It was a bit tricky getting into the creek from that area. (ok..I slipped and fell in, I'll admit it).

We all done that before.....at least i admitted doing it as well ...So is that a definite..??? you coming.... Yes make a left onto boundary Rd you will see me parked on the right before the bridge....There is a ball field on vanderberg rd ..if there is no game going on ...we can park there. but we will meet up at the bridge first.

Tony

Glad you are coming! My brother will be there as well. Entry into the creek can be tricky but I know safe entry points on both sides of Boundary Road. By the way, is your son's interest exclusively with teeth, or are Exogera and Belemnites also of interest. I'm just asking to, in advance, try to figure out which side of Boundary we are going to collect - I know a spot where you can find them by the dozens but if that's not of interest, than it's irrelevant. From my experience, shark teeth are found at a pretty similar ratio on both sides of the bridge.

Yes, my son and I will be there. He's 5, I hope no one minds a little guy trailing around. I keep him in line! As far as collecting specifics, we have a bunch of brachiopods from all the Devonian local sights in eastern PA but only 3 teeth (from Big Brook). He's excited to find anything though and we don't have those other fossils that you mentioned so it would be nice to find a few for his collection.

On a side point.. have any of you guys tried collecting in the creek that runs through Frenchtown NJ?

On a side point.. have any of you guys tried collecting in the creek that runs through Frenchtown NJ?

Your little guy will be welcomed to join us any time. I sometimes have young kids with me and they can be a lot of fun. I was going to bring my 7 year old granddaughter on this trip but she has to go somewhere tomorrow with her parents.....maybe the next time. No I never been to the Frenchtown creek. I never heard anything about it until you mentioned it. I'm going to have to look in to that.

Tony

I may be able to come. My dad and some of my brothers would probably come too.

Stephen

PA Fossil Hunter- GREAT! The more, the merrier!

PAJim- I never collected Frenchtown, I heard there are good fossils there but aren't in my wheelhouse. I'm sure I'll collect there one day and if I do, i'll let you know when (right now, i'm obsessed with Big Brook haha). Your son might enjoy the 'Belemnite battlefield', it's a half-mile walk but these are some pretty good fossils and I know a good place for shark teeth along the way. Here is one I polished. For some reason reason, they tend to be bigger here too, my brother found one roughly double the size of the supposed maximum size range.

post-11657-0-89607800-1438372666_thumb.jpg

Edited by frankh8147

I may be able to come. My dad and some of my brothers would probably come too.

That would be great......The more the merrier.....This is turning out to be more like a expedition then just a fossil hunt trip......Look out Big Brook ...Here we come. We don't bring anything back alive....LOL. :meg dance:

Tony

That's cool....Frank.... I never thought of polishing a belemnite before.

Tony

If I can come, I would definitely want to collect some belemnites. I can't find those anywhere near where I live, so it would be cool to get some good ones.

Stephen

Oh, they can look great (I wouldn't do this to a scientifically important one) but with the average one, I think it's worth it. It looks like fire when you hold it to the light. Honestly, these pictures don't do it justice..because I am one trying to take them haha but here is another picture.

post-11657-0-45162000-1438373318_thumb.jpg

Edited by frankh8147

Frank's brother, I'll be going as well. Here's the large belemnite I found there that he was talking about.

post-17656-0-92038200-1438376267_thumb.jpg

post-17656-0-22594600-1438376321_thumb.jpg

Frank's brother, I'll be going as well. Here's the large belemnite I found there that he was talking about.

Hi Frank's brother......That is one hugh belenmite. I have big ones but not quit that big...its a beauty.

Tony