Fleicalymene Trilobites

Darren Garrison

I have an unhealthy obsession with Flexicalymene trilobites. I finally got control over it before financial meltdown, but whenever I see a photo of a nice Flexi I still feel dejected that I don’t own it.
post-19197-0-87374400-1438352792_thumb.jpg
post-19197-0-07325500-1438352806_thumb.jpg
post-19197-0-09068900-1438352820_thumb.jpg
post-19197-0-52785600-1438352837_thumb.jpg

Four views of the same group.
post-19197-0-35275200-1438353169_thumb.jpg
A different view of some of the enrolled Flexis. (The shell debris are there to hold them in position.)

post-19197-0-97809900-1438352926_thumb.jpg
post-19197-0-85789600-1438352947_thumb.jpg

The largest and smallest in my collection. It is easy to find someone advertising the biggest specimen that they have of a given species, but few people ever point out that they are selling the smallest. To get my tiny flexis, I had to specifically ask a collector/seller to pick out his smallest ones for me.
post-19197-0-49798400-1438353011_thumb.jpg

These are my smallest placed under a bottlecap on my flatbed scanner.
post-19197-0-61294500-1438353294_thumb.jpg
Four small enrolled trilobites in the palm of my hand - a Flexicalymene, a Phacops, a Kainops, and an Isotelus.

(I’ve ran out of my 2 MB of upload space for this post, so the rest of my images are linked.)

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll394/darrengarrison/fossils/fossilhash_01_smaller.jpg

This is a 10 inch or so Ordovician slab from Cincinnati that I bought on Ebay and scanned on my flatbed scanner. (I gather that this material is a rather mundane find for collectors in the area, but since I’m not in Ohio it is exotic enough for me.) It is filled with crinoid columnals, brachiopods, bryozoans, and recognizable fragments from Isotelus, Flexicalymene, and Cryptolithus trilobites. For me, examining this seems almost like actually going diving in the Ordovician and looking at the seafloor, and like I could reach down and grab a handful of fine silt, gritty with fresh shell fragments. (And yes, this is actually scaled down from full resolution.)
This is a slab around 3 inches square that has a nice dark Isolelus maximus hypostome.

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll394/darrengarrison/fossils/crypto2.jpg

Each of these three fragments are only around an inch or so square, but they are crazy full of crinoid columnals and Cryptolithus fringes.

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll394/darrengarrison/fossils/ta_slab_2.jpg

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll394/darrengarrison/fossils/ta_wall.jpg

On a tangental note, if you like staring at the details of high resolution slabs, you will probably also enjoy these scans of both sides of a turatella agate slice (plus one excerpt suitable for wallpaper.)

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll394/darrengarrison/fossils/ammonite.jpg

And a sliced, shattered ammonite that looks very “artistic”.

Edited by Darren Garrison

Your trilobite collection is magnificent! I'm sure we can think of worse things to spend disposable income on...and this isn't one of them. I'm also a trilobite nut which exposes my bias opinion...lol

Best regards,

Paul

...I'm back.

Very,Very nice collection!Thanks for sharing. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

That's an impressive pile of Flexis. Do you get to collect any yourself, or are you limited to buying them? It's great fun when you find something like that in the field.

Don

Very very nice... I suspect many of us might fit into the category "obsessed" seems to be a common trait amongst members of the forum.......

I have a fond spot for Flexis...

My very first trilobite was a nice walnut-sized enrolled beauty from the silica shale; I got it from Malek's Fossils in the early 60's.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice bunch!

I've been to the Cincinnatian collecting areas a couple of times. Some places have more trilo-bits than others. :P

That's a very nice hash plate, too.