Carboniferous Period Fossil Id

saysac

Can you tell a bit more about where was this found? Terrestrial or marine Carboniferous strata, for example?

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Welcome to the Forum,Sherry! :)

Probably you found a lot of fossils in the same area (as the one in your avatar),so I guess the presented above is plant material.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Yes, I have found many fossils there. It is Carboniferous, upper Pennsylvanian I am told. Do I need to do a separate post for each fossil? Someone thought it was cordaites seed? I found a few more, but none of the others had the leaf, or whatever it is surrounding the actual seed?

Sherry

Oh, and to answer, all plant material here. ZiggieCie glad to see someone from Ohio on here! I just joined a fossil club near Cleveland. Have not been to a meeting yet, but hoping I will find some help there. I have been trying to find a university to study the fossils, but have not had any luck. The Smithsonian would like to, but for several reasons I am not able to release the site for mapping.

Sherry

What is the scale of the image? Also, can we see it dry?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This young Lady has been posting these Pennsylvanian plant fossils on the Face Book Fossil Forum and the Carboniferous Forum from Wayne Co.. Ohio. They are VERY impressive from some I have seen. I know very little about Paleobotany so I am of no help whatsoever. Hopefully there are some on here who can help her. Welcome Sherry and it is much easier to ID one item or at least very similar items at a time.

Glad to see you're posting here now, Sherry. I hope you share some of your amazing finds with the wonderful folks here on the forum. Many don't subscribe to Facebook. Welcome aboard! :)

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Thank you Howard for you appreciation of my fossil finds, and for calling me a young lady... that has not happened in a while! :-) As for scale, I am having difficulty getting the photos to the size this site allows, and it cut off the ruler when it adjusted the photo size, I am sorry, I can tell you from the background portion of the seed it is about 2-1/4 inches wide with the seed itself being a little over 1/2 inch. The background image does not show itself well dry, and I am really having difficulty photographing them and getting the detail needed. Is there a reason I should be showing them dry?

Sherry

Sherry

Hi Saysac, do you have some better photos? It looks interesting, but it has to much reflection from the water. Everyone needs to see what you found from Ohio.

Try a picture with it damp under a light but no flash.

A harsh flash reflects more off water then a regular light. Also try taking the picture at a slight angle so the light doesn't reflect straight back at the camera.

It may show some details dry that are obscured by reflected highlights when wet. Comparing both could bring a better understanding of the finer features. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

How do I add an additional photo to this post?

Just reply, using the "More Reply Options" button at lower right.

Looking at the SECOND GEOLOGICAL SURVEY OF PENNSYLVANIA - REPORT OF PROGRESS P. ATLAS TO THE COAL FLORA OF PENNSYLVANIA AND OF THE CARBONIFEROUS FORMATION THROUGHOUT THE UNITED STATES - LEO LESQUEREUX; ©1879 http://www.georgesbasement.com/LesquereuxAtlasP/Lesquereux-Plate85.htm
I think your specimen resembles Cardiocarpus sp. seed. post-17588-0-61213600-1438549995_thumb.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Much better photos, and I don't have a clue, but we have very good people here.

They are going to ask the basic ?s, Apx where it was found, rock formation, if known, age of formation if known. The basics to narrow it down for an ID.

It is different whatever it is.

I started a new topic with some new and better photos...I hope...

I've merged your topics. To add additional photos, click the "More Reply Options" button to the lower right of the "Reply" text box, as Auspex mentioned above.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Which of the cardiocarpus images on the specimen sheet do you think it is? I am told the area is Upper Pennsylvanian.

Sherry

Figs. 34, 35.

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived