Need Beta Testers For Fossil Cataloging Application

TNCollector

When my microfossil collection grew to include 100s of fossils, it became apparent to me that it was becoming more an more difficult to keep track of what I had and all the information for each specimen. As an engineer/programmer, I developed a computer application for myself that solves this problem. The program allows the user to input information about a specimen, where it then generates a tag (just a number) to label the fossil with. If the user ever decides to research the specimen in the future, all they need to do is search the fossil by the tag and all the information about it will be displayed.

The program currently has the following features:

• Store information about a specimen.
  • Search fossil database by word or tag.
  • remove/edit database entries
  • count the number of fossils in the database
  • Database backup (for safety and for printing)
  • List all fossils in the database
  • others...

This application has been a great help for me in keeping track of all of my fossils, and also for doing research on specimens that I own. It allows you to label a single number on the fossil that contains geological, locality, description, and other relevant information on the database. It makes labeling/storing/keeping track of the fossils much easier. I know that some collectors/professionals use spreadsheet applications like MS Excel to do this, but this application is more robust and easy to use, with specialized functions for paleontology.

Due to how much this application has helped me, I decided to put the software for sale for a small price sometime in the near future. It is still in its alpha stage, so it needs to be thoroughly tested, and I could think of no better place than TFF to find people to test it. And by testing it, I mean I just want you to use it and give suggestions/report problems.

I am looking for two people with the following requirements:

• A well-developed base on the forum community.
  • A relatively large collecting of fossils (especially micros)
  • A computer (PC or Mac, has not been tested on PC, but needs to be)
  • The user will have to agree to the Terms and Conditions

Benefits to the testers:

• Free copy of the software
  • Recognition on the software's website

Feel free to ask questions! :) I think this will be a good addition to the paleontological community. And to the mods: I am not sure if this is the right section to post this, so feel free to move it if need be.

EDIT: PM me if interested

Edited by TNCollector

Yes, the problem with it is that it is not cross-platform. The software can only be run on Windows OS, and was developed specifically for XP and Vista. SO anybody who uses Mac OS or any linux based OS cannot use it.

This program intends to be cross-platform, and eventually have a mobile application for iPhone and Android. It is also intended to be more low key: easier to use, lightweight, and simple.

TriloBase is a great program though. The one I am making is not intended to replace it, just expand it to more devices.

...This program intends to be cross-platform, and eventually have a mobile application for iPhone and Android. It is also intended to be more low key: easier to use, lightweight, and simple...

Wow! Database Without Borders...

Info is good, shared info is good cubed! The potential applications boggle my mind. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow! Database Without Borders...

Info is good, shared info is good cubed! The potential applications boggle my mind. :)

Yes, this is the hope! :D Im not sure if you remember, but earlier this summer I was trying to figure out a project to do (was going to do a website for fossils of TN and MS), all along I had this software that I made to myself and didn't even think about its potential applications.

You are onto something!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Years ago I bought Collection Master 10. Never used it as much as I thought I would. Plus the last time I started to catalog stuff, the data disapeared.

Years ago I bought Collection Master 10. Never used it as much as I thought I would. Plus the last time I started to catalog stuff, the data disapeared.

This is why the program I wrote has a nifty "Backup" button on the main page. Press one button, choose where to put the file, and its done.

I also forgot to mention, all of the data stored in the catalog can be printed out on paper so that you can have a hard copy too. I am a firm believer in keeping paper records of everything, but the digital record makes it easier to access information on the fly, especially if your collection grows to contain hundreds of fossils.

I dont catalog all of my fossils, only the ones that I want to keep track of. Some of the less rare material is just not worth the file space (even though it's tiny).

I still have one spot open for beta testing! :)

I would volunteer, but I still can't get paper and pencil to work right :blink:

I struggle to read my own handwriting, it's OK. :P

Hi TNCollerctor,

Generous offer. I would consider it, but that would promote me to data entry clerk for six months. Started a Word spreadsheet for my Paleo library and only entered a third of my collection. I bought Trilobase program and didn't do much more that just pay for it. Bad tester. Go to your corner and think about what you haven't done. Wimper, wimper.

Hi TNCollerctor,

Generous offer. I would consider it, but that would promote me to data entry clerk for six months. Started a Word spreadsheet for my Paleo library and only entered a third of my collection. I bought Trilobase program and didn't do much more that just pay for it. Bad tester. Go to your corner and think about what you haven't done. Wimper, wimper.

Cataloging an already established collection is a terrifying task. :wacko: I have only catalogued my best finds from the past and am now doing it only for new ones I find.

Have you seen Specify? http://specifysoftware.org/

It is free and open to anyone to use as it is funded by NSF.

Yes I have seen it, it is too complicated to use for my tastes, but is really great for sharing collections. I personally just wanted something very simple to be able to use quickly on the go. I am a programmer, and like complicated and intricate software, except when I am not programming (does that makes sense?). :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Almost finished with alpha version of the software. Still have to add a function for uploading images and make the user interface a little prettier. But here are some screenshots of some of the main features. As you can see, the software is very simple and the user interface is extremely simple to navigate (for all ye old lads just getting your first computer :P ). If anyone sees any obvious spelling errors or has any suggestions let me know!

post-17665-0-11721700-1440014701_thumb.png

post-17665-0-68784800-1440014712_thumb.png

post-17665-0-55267500-1440014719_thumb.png

post-17665-0-38168700-1440014725_thumb.png

Edited by TNCollector

Where is the genus, species, class entered? This is very important information about a fossils. I have over 2000 specimen catalogued using Microsoft Access but that is frustrating. If I ever move beyond Windows 7 my Access will no longer work. That means more money for Microsoft. Would love something that is independent. With over 2000 specimens catalogued I need something that will accept my Access data or some form of it. I am not reentering all that data.

crinus

@crinus

Yes, I am currently still working on that aspect of the program, along with the option to add photos (which I am still speculating about adding at all as it defeats by original minimalistic approach). It will be under a tab titled "Taxonomy." Haven't implemented it yet because it requires a separate GUI component that I haven't got to yet.

There will be options to classify your specimen under:

Domain

Kingdom

Phylum

Class

Order

Family

Genus

Species

With the added option to classify even further under super-order, etc...

As far as translating the Access data - it should be possible. I sent you a PM.

I use Access 2007 mostly in spreadsheet form that easily allows me to copy data for multiple entries from the same location. The fields that are I use are as follows:

post-1906-0-65757600-1440166899_thumb.jpg

All should be self explanatory with the exception of search code. I use it as a tag mostly for labels which I have a template in Access to generate.

FYI I do like your archiver function. I don't know if I can do that in Access but haven't looked into it yet.

Mike

Edited by MikeR

"A problem solved is a problem caused"--Karl Pilkington

"I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit." -- Mark Twain