$7 Clip-On 'microscope' For Phone Cameras

JerseyGirl

Well, this arrived, and though it's a bit crude I'm pretty impressed with it...quite the cheap little gadget! It has two lights, one UV(?). It's intended for use in detecting counterfeit bills.

http://www.amazon.com/KingMas-Microscope-Magnifier-SmartPhones-Blackberry/dp/B00PQ9XV2E

Attached are some pix of tooth serrations that I'd never have been able to get with just my iPhone.

post-18717-0-62735000-1438557842_thumb.jpg

post-18717-0-29643800-1438557862_thumb.jpg

Very interesting little gadget, especially for the price. I checked out the reviews there and somebody else posted some pictures of a match head they took a photo of that looked pretty good.

Thanks for posting it. Maybe some members interested in getting started with microfossil photography can get some use from this. If you manage to get more photos with the gadget, let's see 'em!

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

They're cool beans for the price, for sure; I would pay more for one with less chromatic aberration, though. All it would take would be a high-density, low dispersion lens instead of plain glass.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Obviously it's pretty limited, and it still takes a steady hand-- I'm still fooling around with it. But definitely fun and useful for a beginner like me. 😎 And it helped me spot a few things I hadn't noticed with a naked eye, e.g., the mystery piece I found yesterday has some texture peeking through the organic muck-- see just below the crenelated edge, in the dark center area.

post-18717-0-12900300-1438607633_thumb.jpg

I actually had one of those, but is had an actual clip on phone cover and the microscope slots into that, thanks for sharing :)

Izak

Maybe some members interested in getting started with microfossil photography can get some use from this. If you manage to get more photos with the gadget, let's see 'em!

Really having fun with this, though of course now I want a better one. 😀 Here are a few more from my NJ adventures:

post-18717-0-95567000-1438877290_thumb.jpg

post-18717-0-46528300-1438877320_thumb.jpg

post-18717-0-99612100-1438877364_thumb.jpg

Hi very good and the quality is good for the money, I had a USB connected microscope that worked very well and displayed on your laptop or PC it only cost £15 (about $27)

The image was very good, until my dog knocked it on to the floor and I stood on it opps, I keep meaning to get another one but I think I will get one of these instead.

Thanks for the tip

Regards

Mike

• 4 months later...

DIY Macro lens for iphones can easily be made by taking the lens out of a disposable camera...google to find out how. You could attach to a case and use that case when out hunting as sort of a field camera.

pic is with no digital zoom...can zoom using phone

post-20242-0-89923200-1450303799_thumb.jpg

Twitter @mgadomskiSEMS

Archived