PA Fossil Finder

Brachiopod In Concretion (Lingula?)

PA Fossil Finder

I found this nice brachiopod poking out of a concretion when exploring the Montour Fossil Pit. A good whack with my hammer and it split, exposing the entire fossil. The shale exposed is Devonian, Mahantango Formation. I think it is an inarticulate brachiopod like Lingula. It's a little crushed, but I like how it looks on the round concretion. Just goes to show that cracking concretions can be worth it!

This is how it looked at first:

post-10984-0-66875800-1438562470_thumb.jpg

And after I split it:

post-10984-0-95819700-1438562426_thumb.jpg post-10984-0-93875300-1438562532_thumb.jpg

Canadawest

I'll defer to other who are more familiar with the locale.

However, yes. Appears to be a lingua brachiopod.

Inarticulate brachs have shells composed of calcium phosphate...they often have a bluish black colour similar to Paleozoic shark teeth.

Anyways, great find. Except for a few fossil sites, inarticulate brachs of a decent size are rare. They may not have the 'wow' appearance but are a welcome addition to any brachiopod collection. They can be common in Cambrian deposits but often overlooked as usually a fifth the size of your 'monster'.

PA Fossil Finder

Cool! Personally, I like almost any fossil. Unless I already have a lot of extras of that same species, I'll usually pick anything up - I'm glad this one turned out to be something interesting.

fossilized6s

Neat. I love the crushed look on shell fossils. As long as they're still somewhat complete.

Cool find.

ZiggieCie

:thumbsu:

Herb

Nice find, looks like Lingula sp. to me also.

Shamalama

Agreed. Not often you find them in the concretions but perhaps that one was special. :)