rem098

On our recent vacation I swam in Lake Ontario at a park in St.Catharines, Ontario. I brought back a whole bunch of rocks I found in the lake, and some fossils. A lot of them look the same, like a spinal column kinda.

Any idea what they are? (I have them in water because it's easier to see them that way

post-19296-0-74534100-1438724983_thumb.jpg

post-19296-0-69677200-1438724994_thumb.jpg

post-19296-0-73211100-1438725006_thumb.jpg

These are the stems of crinoids, a type of echinoderm. Crinoid fossils used to be called "sea lilies" because they look superficially like a plant, and modern crinoids are sometimes called "feather stars". They are related to starfish and sea urchins, but differ in that they had a long stalk to hold them above the sea floor (this is the part you found), a cup-shaped body (called a calyx), and arms (sometimes feathery-looking) that caught small organic material and passed it to the mouth on the top of the calyx.

Around St. Catherines these fossils could be Ordovician or Silurian in age.

Don

Edited by FossilDAWG
  • I found this Informative 2

Welcome to the Forum! :) Nice finds and very well described by Don.Thanks for posting them here.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

nice pix, welcome

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I am with FossilDAWG crinoid. But they look like rocks with zippers. Its interesting how some fossils are preserved then partially eroded when found.

Welcome to the Forum

Mike