Mosasaur Tooth: Real Or Fake

That1fossil

Today I went to my local museum and in the gift shop I came across a mosasaur tooth ( for a cheap price of £150 ). Amazed, I bought the tooth without hesitation along with fossilised dinosaur poo. However, after some time, I thought it was too good to be true, and I decided to wonder if the tooth was real or fake. The man working at the till said the tooth was real, but I don't quite believe him. So I thought I'd ask someone who knows their stuff and here I am asking. Please help, I will really appreciate it. 😄

post-19308-0-76728200-1438778187_thumb.jpg

post-19308-0-52541200-1438778336_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Tooth is a real Mosasaur tooth, its from Morocco. I hope your purchase price was not real.

Thank you so much Troodon. whoops! Made a mistake! The price was £1.50 ( not 150 ). I must of forgotten to put the decimal in thank you again and thanks for the information!

P.s is it still real if I spent that cheap a price???

You may be pridefully certain that your tooth once graced the gaping maw of a ferocious marine predator. Enjoy.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Thank you so much Troodon. whoops! Made a mistake! The price was £1.50 ( not 150 ). I must of forgotten to put the decimal in thank you again and thanks for the information!

P.s is it still real if I spent that cheap a price???

Good deal, enjoy.

Mosasaur teeth themselves are generally not faked as they are fairly common. It's the jaws you have to watch out for. Real teeth are sometimes glued into some rock with some random bone to give the impression of a jaw with teeth.

Nice tooth!

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Thanks so much LordTrilobite for the information! It makes clear sense to me now as I saw a lot of mosasaur jaw fakes around and this lead me to think that the tooth might also be fake! Again thank you and I now know that the majority of mosasaur teeth are real!

The price was right for an individual tooth of that size and condition, you can buy them in bulk and make it cheaper or you can get bigger and better and make it more expensive. Welcome to the forum, and now you've started collecting try going down to Penarth and collecting a few fossils for yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

That definitely looks real. Seeing mosasaur teeth in museum gift shops and rock and fossil shops is a very, very common thing. I might be from a Prognathodon

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem, Does anyone know if this tooth is fake or not? I believe it may be, but I would like a confirmation.

post-20019-0-37267300-1446605931_thumb.jpg

post-20019-0-19248500-1446605971_thumb.jpg

I have the same problem, Does anyone know if this tooth is fake or not? I believe it may be, but I would like a confirmation.

Looks real to me. These are very plentiful in Morocco and are sold for pretty cheap (in case your purchase price has you wondering on it's authenticity).

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

Yup, definitely real. Actually a really nice tooth too.

There seems to be some matrix left on the tooth in the second picture. By very carefully removing that the tooth is going to look even prettier.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Archived