gitup88

Petrified Wood And Fossil Hunting Areas Around Fort Bragg Nc

gitup88

Hello all!

I'm new to this Forum and was wondering if anybody knows any areas to hunt for petrified wood and other fossils around Fort Bragg or surrounding areas. I hunt it with my wife and kids. We have been to Tar river and found a few pieces of pet wood with our Kayaks but would like to be closer to the Fort Bragg area if possible. I have been in the Cape Fear river around Lillington to Erwin and have found nothing in the area. I am originally from Ohio and find it a lot up there in creeks fairly easy in some areas. Any help or ideas on areas to go would be very much appreciated.

thanks Cliff

John Hamilton

Cliff,

I've been in Fayetteville since 2011 and have yet to find a site that produces fossils in Cumberland County. You can find some small pieces of petrified wood in the local creeks and tributaries of the Cape Fear but they are few and far between.

John

gitup88

I hear that. I been here since 2010 and never found nothing around here either that does not fall apart right away like its not totally petrified. I have been going in the tar river and have had some luck but its 2 hr ride from here. I been all around Lillington in the cape fear and have found nothing as well and a few creeks. I see a lot of posts on here of the areas closer to the ocean where people find a lot of fossils and pet wood. I just wish it was a lil closer and better access to the river instead of 8 to 10 miles in between where u can put in and out. I myself really enjoy pet wood hunting the most. I have done it since I was a kid with my father in Ohio and love it. I am soon to retire from the Army this December and cant wait to get back to the Ohio to get after it there. I just thought I would ask since I am new to this site and see if anyone knew of any places to go around here.

Cliff

Plax

you guys might try asking the corps of engineers about dredge spoils in the Fayetteville and downstream areas. An old friend got a dump truck of pet wood from a project in the area 25 or 30 years ago. The shell beds long the Lumber River also have cretaceous fossils at their base including teeth if they all haven't been over collected and posted. When they built the I-95 NC Welcome center 40? years ago just this side of the SC line the retention basin had lots of Duplin formation fossils. Those fossils outcrop in a belt along the inner coastal plain at about that same elevation on north.

Al Dente

Here's a huge chunk of petrified wood the Corps removed from the Cape Fear River.

post-2301-0-27468300-1439292874_thumb.jpg

gitup88

@Plax I like hitting the creeks and rivers in my kayak. I like hunting for it instead of finding it the easy way in piles. finding it like that takes the fun out of it if you know what I mean. I would like to take my kids to go look for some of those big Meg shark teeth you all find down here.

@ Al Dente I have seen that huge log down by the dam. I wonder how the heck the lifted that with a huge crane I bet. Anybody ever kayak down the cape fear from any of the dams and then kayak back up to take out? I was wondering how hard the current is to do that since I will be having my family with me and don't want to get stuck down river.

gitup88

I also read in a book that somewhere north of Fayetteville about 18 miles north on the cape fear river that there is a outcrop where pet wood and fossils can be found. does anyone know where this location is located abouts.