Prepping Fossils From Red Hill, Pa

PA Fossil Finder

This summer, I was fortunate enough to get to go to the famous Red Hill site in Pennsylvania. I found lots of awesome fossils, including teeth, scales, and bones. I was lucky enough to find a spot they had recently used a jackhammer to expose new fossils. In the piles they had broken out of the hillside, I found nice unweathered bones and a few small spines. I would like to prep the spines out of the rock, but the rock from Red Hill is hard and does not break down easily.

One of the spines:

post-10984-0-97271700-1439054694_thumb.jpg post-10984-0-03642400-1439054710_thumb.jpg

The back of the rock has lots of bone chunks and stuff:

post-10984-0-88686600-1439054724_thumb.jpg

Stephen

I have similar stuff from a different spot in northern PA. I think you have to simply pick at this rock gently with a sharp pointy tool,and have some vinac or superglue on hand to stabilize cracks as soon as you see them.

Edited by jpc

That rock looks really rich in fossil pieces. Maybe you can get a more complete spine, tooth or scales or plates from it. Good luck. Looks like an excellent piece to work with. Good luck.

Your finds are amazing and do you need permission to collect there and if you did ,,,how did you obtain the permission....I would like to try my luck ..Love those Hynea fish teeth.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Tony

Edited by njfossilhunter

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Your finds are amazing and do you need permission to collect there and if you did ,,,how did you obtain the permission....I would like to try my luck ..Love those Hynea fish teeth.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Tony

Yes, you need permission to visit the site. I actually went there as part of a two-day PA fossil collecting weekend guided by Cathy Young, from Mid Atlantic Fossil and Nature Adventures.

Stephen

• 2 weeks later...

Nice finds

The matrix looks like it is very flaky, good luck in prepping them.

Regards

Mike

You did well! Those are some nice samples. I'll bet the guys at the Museum would tell you the best ways to prep these. The big trouble with Red Hill stuff is the surface rock is so fragmented, so if you go there take pictures before you touch the fossil and take a consolidant or crazy glue with you too. I collected there a couple of years ago with the New York Paleontology Society and we did well. I don't know if they are going back next year, but they go every so often.

Nice finds

The matrix looks like it is very flaky, good luck in prepping them.

Regards

Mike

You did well! Those are some nice samples. I'll bet the guys at the Museum would tell you the best ways to prep these. The big trouble with Red Hill stuff is the surface rock is so fragmented, so if you go there take pictures before you touch the fossil and take a consolidant or crazy glue with you too. I collected there a couple of years ago with the New York Paleontology Society and we did well. I don't know if they are going back next year, but they go every so often.

Actually, many of the fossils I collected were in a pile of rock they had recently used a jackhammer to expose. These rocks weren't nearly as flaky and fragmented as the rest of the fossils from the site, because they hadn't been exposed to weathering for very long. I got lucky that time!

Stephen

• 4 weeks later...