Rusty Hammer (Should I Be Concerned)

JNegron

Hey all. I noticed that my Estwing hammer has started to rust over. Should I be overly concerned about this? There's a good chance that I won't be using it for about a year, and I don't want to take it out again and have it be completely unusable.

post-15632-0-30224300-1439061136_thumb.jpg

Yes. Once it start rusting mother nature keeps it going. I would clean it up. Try soaking overnight in white vinegar and then use steel wool to remove rust. A light coating of oil for storage will give you years of use.

• I found this Informative 3

A rusty hammer is inevitable if you do fieldwork on the coast. My hammer's first nickname was "Rusty", and then after a few more years the rust turned into a blackish patina, and now it's Black Beauty; my younger, sharper hammer is Rusty II.

I've had the first one since 2004, and the second one since 2008 or so - and they both work just fine still. I've never bothered cleaning them, and am a bit mystified by the people that do =P

WD-40.

'Nuf said.

B)

• I found this Informative 3

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

My rock hammer just turned 40. Used it on 5 continents. Never cleaned it.

It 's a miracle I haven't lost it. A miracle. It's been dropped off cliffs, into streams, in lost luggage, covered with so much mud had to feel for it on the ground.

An aside, I tie a piece of orange flagging tape to my hammer...and to a strap on my daypack. If out foraging alone and taking off my glasses a lot to examine something closely, I even tie a piece to an eyeglass arm. If a remote area...tie it to my car key ring.

Flagging tape is my friend. I'd guess 95% of quality rock hammers are lost before they ever break or rust away.

• I found this Informative 1

Hi The rust will only be surface pitting as in your image, just use a rag and some 3 in 1 light oil then pop it in a plastic bag for storage, its a personal thing re tool cleaning and some people like to keep their tools clean and shinny (like me)and some don't, generally the light rust wont hurt your hammer.

Regards

Mike

Worry more with the axe like shaft on the eastwing. I have seen them do some nasty things to apprentices holding nails. If the head were striking nails all you need to do is rub the end clean on sandpaper or in the earth. Personal thing I have never liked the solid steel shafts as they tend to transmit the shock from head to hand and the hand grip only does so much.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I have had my Estwing since I bought it new in 1966! Sure, the surface is darker, but hey, that dude is still my FAVORITE! dave

I have had my Estwing since I bought it new in 1966! Sure, the surface is darker, but hey, that dude is still my FAVORITE! dave

1966! Is there some point where a hammer used to find artifacts and fossils becomes an artifact itself?

Mine is just a toddler...from 1973.

Estwings are a life time tool. I have my fathers rock hammer ( early sixties as well!) totally darkened with years of rust, but pert near indestructible. After you've used yours ( I presume in a salty environment) a quick rinse with fresh water and a thorough drying should get those excess salts off.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

If you have some motor oil around, just rub it on the metal parts so they are damp not dripping. Let it sit over night on some paper or something the oil will not bother, and the next day wipe it off with a rag. Much of the rust comes off and the very thin oil coating protects it from further heavy rusting. Give the oil treatment once ina while and it will darken up and be fine.

I do my hammers, chisels, garden shears, sledgehammers, shovels, etc. anything steel.

If you want to shine it up, do the oil rub and than some moderate coarse steel wool (0 or 00) and shine it up than oil it again. Wire wheel on a drill is faster. Just some lifetime ideas to pass on. :)

PS. losing it is more of a reality than rusting away, Duck tape has a very orange tape. Wrap it around the upper shaft of your hammer, chisels, and pass it around to your friends.

Edited by ZiggieCie

• 4 months later...

I prefer the bright green duct tape!

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

• 2 months later...

I am impressed also by those of you who have had yours for decades.... In the last ~5 years I have lost 2 rock hammers and a chisel with bright pink guard on it.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I thought that putting all of my tools in a bucket was a good thing to do when digging. Then I forgot the bucket.

Ah, 1966. I remember it well. Shortly after I was born we one the football World Cup. :P

• 1 month later...

No need to worry about surface rust. It only adds character. In order for rust to become an issue, as far as safety, it would have to be rusted most of the way thru the shaft to cause some concern and you are far from that point! Hammer on my wayward son! 😂