Carboniferous Fossils Found 8/8 Ohio

saysac

These kinda had my head going 'round, until I realized that they are likely Lower Mississippian. I am so used to seeing the Pennsylvanian suite of plant fossils that it took me a minute to digest! Really nice and (to me) unusual material :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

These are actually found in an area that is supposed to be Upper Pennsylvanian Auspex. I am told what I am finding has not been found in my area and are very important scientifically. I have more in my gallery, just not sure how to tell you to view it :-) Thank you, and thank you Izak...

Sherry

These are actually found in an area that is supposed to be Upper Pennsylvanian...

Really? It seems a strange flora!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Well, actually Lower Pennsylvanian not Upper Pennsylvanian.

The flora looks different because they represent an "Upland" flora dominated by Megalopteris, Lesleya and other rarities. These types of flora don't always get preserved but I assume existed throughout the Pennsylvanian.

Another locations similar is the "Spencer Farm" location that the Illinois State Museum's Richard Leary studied in the 1970s. That one is also lower Pennsylvanian. Here's a link to one of his papers that have been helpful in IDing some of Sherry's items.

http://repository.upenn.edu/ees_papers/22/

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.–Carl Sagan

So it is a different flora; thank you! I though I was going nuts...

Ya' learned me sumpin!

To my rescue again, Paul... Paul has been researching my finds and has done an amazing job... Thank you.....

Sherry

I really am blessed to have this little piece of heaven on earth Ziggie. I am looking forward to showing you some of these in person at the meeting.

Sherry

Archived