Unusual Bone For I D

old bones

I found this tiny bone in Sacha's matrix from a spoil island in the Indian River near Merritt Island, Fl. I have included several views. This one was tough to photograph. It is difficult to see in my photos, but there is a small perforation in the scoop like end. The only thing that I can think of is maybe a mouse baculum. Any help on this one would be appreciated.

post-13648-0-23748100-1439068245_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

I think it is a frog toe.

Dang, you're good! I looked it up, and that is it. Thanks a bunch. :)

Now THAT is COOL!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I was leaning more towards fossilized alien toe bone, but I think Al Dente is right. :(

:D

Haha! It looked pretty alien to me. :)

Now THAT is COOL!

It is a first for me! My fossil finds read like a witch's brew... tooth of bat, toe of frog.....

...My fossil finds read like a witch's brew... tooth of bat, toe of frog.....

:rofl:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Haha! It looked pretty alien to me. :)

It is a first for me! My fossil finds read like a witch's brew... tooth of bat, toe of frog.....

I had to LOL at that +1

Very cool Julianna. Nice find. I'm about 1/3 done with drying the additional matrix I picked up last week. I think it's a little more productive than your batch, but hard for me to tell. There are quite a few bones and fragments in it, but very hard to tell what skeletal elements they belong to. Like this one, some of them are pretty darn neat.

If I finish drying this batch next week, I'll schedule another trip to Rattlesnake creek to get more matrix from there. Thanks for the investigation and posts.

That is way cool!

Thanks, John :D

That is a jumping hot find!!

Tony

Good one Tony! I see what you did there. ;)

I had to LOL at that +1

Thanks Flint :)

Very cool Julianna. Nice find. I'm about 1/3 done with drying the additional matrix I picked up last week. I think it's a little more productive than your batch, but hard for me to tell. There are quite a few bones and fragments in it, but very hard to tell what skeletal elements they belong to. Like this one, some of them are pretty darn neat.

If I finish drying this batch next week, I'll schedule another trip to Rattlesnake creek to get more matrix from there. Thanks for the investigation and posts.

This has been very intriguing matrix, John. I have had to study so much and have learned a bit more about bones. I have more photos and oddball things to show as I get them done.It had been exciting to find such different kinds of fossils.

Regarding Rattlesnake Creek; I still say we need an emoticon of 'rubbing hands together'.

Julianna

Julianna, submit that frog finger for fossil of the month for August.

I second that.

It's about time we had a micro-vert run for the honors!

Great find Julianna! That's pretty unique :)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

I agree with you! :fistbump:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I'm clueless as far as a frogs skeletal makeup and was wondering what bone it was in the foot. It's the terminal phalange. Very cool specimen.

post-10935-0-40982400-1439157421_thumb.jpg

Julianna, submit that frog finger for fossil of the month for August.

I second that.

It's about time we had a micro-vert run for the honors!

Well, ok then. I will! I am laughing here...I never could have imagined being instructed to do anything with 'a frog finger'! Too funny. It is rather unique tho. I sure got an education while researching it. Thank goodness Eric knew it for what it is.

Great find Julianna! That's pretty unique :)

Thanks Jeff, it has to be the neatest micro thing I have found yet.

I agree with you! :fistbump:

Thanks abyssunder :)

I'm clueless as far as a frogs skeletal makeup and was wondering what bone it was in the foot. It's the terminal phalange. Very cool specimen.

attachicon.giffoot_frog.jpg

Thank you Troodon. That is one of the photos that I downloaded from the search I did! Really shows how tiny that little bone is.

...I sure got an education while researching it...

I am sure that more than a few here got an education from this topic, and thousands more will continue to do so through the magic of Google.

This is an example of the best we have to offer! :)

Coolest micro fossil I've seen in a while--tinging (Kermit the frog) green with envy at the moment. :P

i'd definitely submit it for FOTM. Even if someone does uncover an articulated T. rex skeleton and submit that as well we need to see the diversity of amazing fossils that are found each month. Heck, I'd probably vote for the "phrog phalanx" anyway (I do love me some micros).

Cheers.

-Ken