Beach Items For Id Please (Cromer/overstrand/norfolk)

hpcc1234

These look like Belemnites:

post-423-0-39227800-1439128008_thumb.jpg

You'll get a lot more responses if you attach the images to the Forum, instead of an off-site host.

Just crop & reduce them to about 50%. Giving the size of the objects will help, too. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

attachicon.gif~.jpg

You'll get a lot more responses if you attach the images to the Forum, instead of an off-site host.

Just crop & reduce them to about 50%. Giving the size of the objects will help, too. :)

How do you upload images please? I am unfamiliar with this forum and it does not appear obvious how to do it. Thanks.

I have tried to create an album and it won't let me, and there only appears to be a URL link, which won't accept the DB URL.

Thank you for confirmation of Belemnites. :D

How do you upload images please? I am unfamiliar with this forum and it does not appear obvious how to do it. Thanks.

I have tried to create an album and it won't let me, and there only appears to be a URL link, which won't accept the DB URL.

Thank you for confirmation of Belemnites. :D

attachicon.gif~.jpg

Hi, Worked out how to add images - thanks.

How old are the Belemnites likely to be?

Thanks.

Belemnites lived from the Lower Jurassic to the Upper Cretaceous; I think the sites you've mentioned are Cretaceous.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The belemnites are almost certainly local Upper Cretaceous ones (the orange colour is characteristic) although glacial erratics are possible - specimen 29 is a Carboniferous coral from the north, Siphonodendron sp.

31 appears to be man made, perhaps pottery.

7 is banded flint, not a fossil but an interesting subject in itself.

18 looks like a sponge in flint.

Tarquin

I agree with the others. 29 could be Siphonodendron sp. or Syringopora sp. , there is no scale to compare.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I agree with the others. 29 could be Siphonodendron sp. or Syringopora sp. , there is no scale to compare.

Hi Abyssunder! - if you look closely, it has horizontal tabulae and columella so will be Siphonodendron. Also seems to have no dissepiments so is probably S. junceum - as you say, it needs a scale to be sure.

Tarquin

Hi Abyssunder! - if you look closely, it has horizontal tabulae and columella so will be Siphonodendron. Also seems to have no dissepiments so is probably S. junceum - as you say, it needs a scale to be sure.

I've measured the pebble and it is approx 5cm in diameter. Hope that helps.

Thank you for all the replies so far. Very grateful for the info.

I've measured the pebble and it is approx 5cm in diameter. Hope that helps.

Thanks - that fits Siphonodendron junceum.

Tarquin

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I see mostly rocks. The cone shaped items do appear to be belemnites. #30 looks to be a bivalve imprint of some sort. I'd make #31 the very worn inner threads of a ceramic telephone or power line insulator.

#31 reminds me of a very water worn cephalopod.

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

Archived