Sponge Or Bryozoan?

Bev

Ordovician

Prosser member of the Galena Formation

SE MN

Group hunt 8.8.15

I'm thinking that this could possibly be a hindi sponge, but it could just be a bryozoan. What has me is the "pores", they seem to be hexigonal in shape. What do you think???

post-9628-0-55973200-1439133329_thumb.jpg

post-9628-0-24325500-1439133345_thumb.jpg

post-9628-0-37869500-1439133364_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking!

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

I get a bryozoan vibe from this one.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Not sure about Hindia but possibly a sponge of some sort although true sponges are apparently rare in the Upper Ordovician.

Yes, sponges are very rare in the Ordovician which is why I got excited!

Bryozoan, in a mound... Praaspora?

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

I think the surface appearance may be deceptive on this one. Look where the interior is exposed. The geometry says coral doesn't it ?

It is difficult to ID a sponge without looking at the spicules...and difficult to ID a tabulate coral or bryozoan without a cross section. Otherwise we are just comparing images to others found in the area...and those previous may not be properly identified.

None of these three fauna attract much research as they are difficult to diagnose and are not all that useful in Paleozoic biostratigraphy. In contrast researchers tend to use microfossils (conodonts, etc) or rugose corals (as a opposed to tabulate corals)and brachiopods.

My speculation is that it is a bryozoan...just the odds from the age of rock.

When we did field collections and brought back tabulate corals, sponges and Bryozoa they were given a collection locale and then put in trays to taken down to storage drawers in the dungeon. Like Roger Dangerfield they don't get much respect.

Edited by Ridgehiker

LOL You are so right, no respect for bryozoa or sponges! Yet they come in fascinating shapes!

Cutting it is not an option at this point.

This is where I really miss Caleb! He knew the fauna of this Ordovician area so well that he could look at it and just know what it was by experience! :-(

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

I see double spiral pattern on the surface. I'm inclined to believe is a bryozoan.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

The pores are too small for a coral (IMHO) other than maybe Tetradium. As suggested just on it being from that part of the Late Ordovician I would skew toward bryozoan as well. But not Prasopora.

looks like a bryozoan to me also

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The pores are too small for a coral (IMHO) other than maybe Tetradium. As suggested just on it being from that part of the Late Ordovician I would skew toward bryozoan as well. But not Prasopora.

Hummm, I'm really stumped now! The only bryozaon it resembles to me is a Prasopora. But then, I'm certainly no expert, it is the one I find so often that humps up like this one. Thanks for the input!

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Hi Bev What does the bottom look like. All of my Prosopora have the distinctive rings. Just gave away 70 prosopora yesterday to children at Fertile Iowa Quarry Days. They were not as impressed with them as compared to the Hormatomas .

Understandable.

Edited by minnbuckeye

Hi Bev What does the bottom look like. All of my Prosopora have the distinctive rings

Thanks for weighing in! :-D Can't see the bottom on this one as it is in the rock. I know what you mean about the distinctive rings. It has already gone home with its hunter. :-) I would say Prasopora and a NICE ONE if not a sponge. But I have only found one other Prasopora where the pores are so clear and it doesn't look quite like mine which is why I was going toward sponge - which would be a truly rare find. Even a Prasopora in this wonderful preservation would make me do a happy dance! :meg dance:

Go to my

Pinned Posts: