Any Help? Because I Have No Clue.

kks7696

I found this in the woods. It had been pulled out from wherever it was and was sitting on a trash can. To me, which I am not even a novice at this, I would say it is petrified. It is not bone colored and does not feel like bone but it is obviously some kind of bone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

post-19366-0-73124100-1439216955_thumb.jpg

Edited by kks7696

In a disc golf course in Mckinney Texas. That area had never been developed before this and is considered a flood plains if that helps. 5 years ago it was just woods.

Edited by kks7696

Taking a wild guess from a single photo showing one side of the bone I suspect you've found a bison tibia. A photo of the other side of the bone would be very helpful.

I don't have exact measurements right now. I am at work and have no way to measure it but It is from my elbow to the beginning of my fingers. I am an average sized man. 5'10 180. I will measure it and post that as well.

post-19366-0-50410800-1439231100_thumb.jpg

post-19366-0-06078800-1439231102_thumb.jpg

post-19366-0-47193500-1439231103_thumb.jpg

Edited by kks7696

It looks like a tibia; bos/bison, I think.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I believe it is a horse tibia - note that the trochlea is at a 45 degree angle. But a good straight on view of the end would nail it for sure.

Edited by RichW9090
  • I found this Informative 1

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

I agree with Rich, horse works. Tibia are usually generic bones among grazing animals and without the benefit of professional training can be a challenge to discern difference species. Teeth are usually the best way to identify an animal though that can get tricky sometimes too.

Edited by jpevahouse