Oligocene Insects, Not Florissant

PRK

Aftter i typed that i also reread yours and you say good plants are not common. Plants are indeed commonat Republic

Here?

Great insect.

Actually insects are much more common at Eocene/Oligocene sites than we often know. We often don't recognize them at first because of the orientation. They are rarely as diagnostic as the above photo. I was collecting at Horsefly, BC and coming up with a few leaves but no bugs. The guy with me went through my discard pile and found a dozen or so to show me what I had missed. After that, I could spot the critters.

Love both fossils and would welcome the chance to find something like that.

Lucky to have a secret location where you can find such things, thanks for sharing

Regards

Mike

Nice fossils

have you tried to take photos of the insects under demineralized water or alcohol. It often bringing out the details that are hard to see when the rock is dry.

post-7084-0-24809900-1439470824_thumb.jpg

in dry rock

post-7084-0-30553900-1439470974_thumb.jpg

same fossil with one drop alcohol

Wow syl,

That is beautiful. Does it really make that much difference?

Here's another. Fun summer !

It's depend on the rock type

My experience is mainly with fossils from the Fur Formation. Here we have 3 distinctively different types of sediments with fossils:

*Shale/ mudstone - In this stones the effect is small, but normally noticeably.

*Diatomite - No effect

*Carbonate Cemented diatomite, huge effect.

Another example

post-7084-0-20567200-1439535023_thumb.jpg

non treated

post-7084-0-03714900-1439535008_thumb.jpg

and with alcohol

Hey Paul, nice beauties. We sure got lots and lots of bugs here but no fossil critters unfortunately. Here's one that scared me a bit silly in the last week when it jumped out of a plant container I was cleaning up and on to the pool screen right next to me.

post-1240-0-64069700-1439666243_thumb.jpg

Thanks for showing the fossil stuff! Continued hunting success.

Regards, Chris

Ventral beetle

Large cranefly. I was trying to harden this specimen so it was damp and extremely fragile. Stupidly I happened to pick it up from opposite sides and it to my terror collapsed into two pieces.---exactly what I was trying to prevent. Ouch !!!!!!

post-9950-0-72377000-1440962810_thumb.jpg

post-9950-0-63531300-1440962891_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived