jookey2003

A friend of mine has this stone. I've heard some wild stories that he dreams up about it. Is there any fossils similar or does anyone have an idea of what it might be from. Any help I would apprectiate very much! Thank You!

IMG_1386.jpg

Looks to me to be a cross section of a concretion, or nodule.

Possibly of a Moqui Marble.

Not a fossil, or alien artifact. ;)

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

what kind of grain structure do you see?

The pics are a little blurry.

It almost looks carved but concretions are decptive.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

It looks like a native American game stone, I have one that is very similar but without the concentric rings carved into if. It could also be a pestle stone that has never been used. Nice find.

Edited by jgcox

Is it basalt, or what? A sharp picture would help.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sorry, It is a picture from him. I will see if I can get him to bring the stone to me so I can take pictures. Honestly, I was hoping to tell him that its nothing special...;) I guess not

The concentric layers don't have a perfect symmetry, so I think could not be a fossil or an artifact. I vote for a geological origin.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

To me it looks like the circles have been carved out, but it's hard to judge because of the poor quality of the photo.

I saw the same possibility; this is exactly why I asked for better images. If it is not sedimentary rock, it can hardly be a concretion.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 2 weeks later...

My old post

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:20 PM

A friend of mine has this stone. I've heard some wild stories that he dreams up about it. Is there any fossils similar or does anyone have an idea of what it might be from. Any help I would apprectiate very much! Thank You!

New pictures! They are again. pictures taken by him. He told me that he no longer lets anyone see the stone.....lol , that is him with the stone. ;)

It was found by him on the lakeshore, Central MN.

post-7082-0-69714700-1440833960_thumb.jpg

post-7082-0-33922900-1440833982_thumb.jpg

post-7082-0-24105300-1440833994_thumb.jpg

Edited by jookey2003

Not a fossil - the rock looks igneous, perhaps basalt.

Although strange forms result from natural weathering of layered rocks that one looks as if it's been pecked out intentionally.

It's very similar to the enigmatic prehistoric cup and ring marks found in Europe which are sometimes on a single cobble.

Edited by TqB

Tarquin

I agree - with the better pictures it does appear to be carved into the rock.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I agree - with the better pictures it does appear to be carved into the rock.

Regards,

Carved. With what?...and why? The fun of it?

Search cup and ring stones on the web. A number of these have been found in North America. They are Neolithic and believed to be ornamental. The patterns can be found on outcrops and loose stones such as yours.

The carving technique looks like pecking - repeated striking with another tool, perhaps stone.

Didn't know about North American ones but there a lot of Bronze Age/Neolithic ones near where I live in north UK.

I've always wanted to find a portable one!

Tarquin

Very cool. If I found one I would keep it in a Crown Royal sack too

• I found this Informative 1

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Intersting thread. This specimen had a striking resemblance to an Omar that I found several years back. Here in northern Illinois Omar's (a glacial erratic from Hudson Bay) can be found among glacial cobbles along lakesides, creeks, farmers fields, etc. I even found one on a spoil pile hunting Mazon Creek nodules. Most of the ones I've found have a similar look. A dark colored stone with a single, or sometimes many, circular rings on it that are noticeably lighter in color. Here's a couple of photos of a few I have handy.

post-2411-0-54533400-1440977992_thumb.jpg post-2411-0-48528400-1440978021_thumb.jpg

And here is on that I found that has an obvious ring indented into the stone. I've always; and still do, believe it's a natural phenomena. Here it is.

post-2411-0-89417900-1440978282_thumb.jpg

So I guess I'm left with a few questions. Is the ring on my stone possibly man made? Could there be a chance the specimen originally posted is a natural phenomena? Or, out of pure speculation, could the original posted specimen possibly be an Omar that has been altered into its current condition?

• I found this Informative 1

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

And here is on that I found that has an obvious ring indented into the stone. I've always; and still do, believe it's a natural phenomena. Here it is.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

So I guess I'm left with a few questions. Is the ring on my stone possibly man made? Could there be a chance the specimen originally posted is a natural phenomena? Or, out of pure speculation, could the original posted specimen possibly be an Omar that has been altered into its current condition?

Nice Rock

I see what you mean that it could be altered for sure.

Edited by jookey2003

Intersting thread. This specimen had a striking resemblance to an Omar that I found several years back. Here in northern Illinois Omar's (a glacial erratic from Hudson Bay) can be found among glacial cobbles along lakesides, creeks, farmers fields, etc. I even found one on a spoil pile hunting Mazon Creek nodules. Most of the ones I've found have a similar look. A dark colored stone with a single, or sometimes many, circular rings on it that are noticeably lighter in color. Here's a couple of photos of a few I have handy.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Ive found a ton like ur top two pictures and the other one is crazy similar to mine.

100 0676[1]

I keep all odd one just in case its something, and because if I didn't, I'd never find anything and prob not go. I keep round rocks too :D

rocki

rock

2 spots on this guy!
Asking about rocks is done at your own risk. I will not tho.
I like
Edited by jookey2003