Clam From Rayzor Ranch

rwise

Found a couple of these on Rayzor Ranch this past weekend. Need help with the ID. Thanks in advance for help. From Grayson Marl, and Mainstreet formations.... about 3.5 inches long and 2.5 inches wide.

post-11919-0-76375300-1439839824_thumb.jpg

post-11919-0-40005800-1439839815_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your help in advance.

It's a nautilus :)

Really?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

not a nautilus, and not protocardia texana.....still waiting on a positive ID....HELP

Looks to me like it may be a Pholadomya.

LINK

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Pachymya sp.

Another possibility, although I think their form is more oval. I'm pretty sure that this one is at least a member of the family Pholadomyidae. There's quite a range of possibilities there which would have to be narrowed down depending on what's available in the aforementioned formations.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Yes, Rodney can you show us a side view for a better idea of the shape of the valve? Pachymya is in the same family and found in the Mainstreet Formation but there may be others as well. The pictures I see of Texas species of Pholadomya are somewhat triangular shaped, maybe less globular but I don't have one for comparison.

Here are some additional pics.....the thing that is unusual to me is the coconut shape of this clam. Literally shaped like a coconut off a palm tree.... In the pictures there are three different specimens....one is small, only about an inch long. The others are large, about 3.5 inches long, 1.5 inches wide and high.

post-11919-0-49487400-1439917085_thumb.jpg Three together Top View post-11919-0-76100300-1439917105_thumb.jpg Large Side View

post-11919-0-74462600-1439917148_thumb.jpg Small Side View post-11919-0-91239200-1439917155_thumb.jpg Opposite Hinge End View

post-11919-0-88292700-1439917179_thumb.jpg Top View Large and Small post-11919-0-86005400-1439917758_thumb.jpg Hinge

I agree that some of the pictures when I google Pholadomya look the same. But, many of the pictures show the hinge on the side of the clam rather than on the end, like mine.......it looks to me like there are many kinds of Pholadomya.......same thing with Pachymya......

Edited by rwise

it looks to me like there are many kinds of Pholadomya

That's correct. The Paleobiology Database alone counts over 30 species and that's by a long way not all of them.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I have only ever made my IDs from pictures in local field guides and websites, no papers or even Treatise on my end to say anything for sure. Just label that thing mollusca :)